PDA

View Full Version : bit of a problem

chemaelizondo
02-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi guys.
Does any one know how to create a part inwards into another element, the condition here is that the part wich is been caved into the other has a sharp edge, as depicted in the 2D image below.

If I use Boleans, it cannot be transformed into sub-patches.

If I try to use weights on the edge the edge takes the shape of the edge of the polygons line by line so the shape of the edge shows angles instead of beeing rounded.

I havent been able to figure thisone out yet, Im pretty much stock here! :(

Silkrooster
02-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Booleans will work if you triple the polys so you can sub patch. However, you may end up with some touch up work around the rim. When I tried it the rim was disfigured a little bit.
Silk

liquidpope
02-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Here's a quick way to do it...
Create a ball, globe not tesselated.
(Notice the orientation of the polys. That's the key.)
Select the area to be indented and delete.
Select the opposite side, copy into new layer.
Move this new layer into position as shown, and flip the polys.
Put the two layers together, and you're just about done.

If you merge these points now, you'll get a weird "smoothing" effect that you probably don't want if you try to subdivide further.
Leave the points unmerged, sub'd to your liking, then merge.
Piece o' cake.

This is my favorite thing about these boards. Everyone will have a different way to do the same thing. There is no right or wrong, just different.
How many other ways are there? Probably a lot. This one in particular just kinda jumped out at me.

James

Silkrooster
02-20-2005, 02:24 PM
I was trying to accomlish this, for some reason I did not think about rotating the sphere. It does make since now you shown this as normally when you use a half a sphere, you select the top or bottom half, not the side.
Silk

chemaelizondo
02-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks for this information, is been very helpful. I agree about there beeing many ways to accomplish the same thing.

If any body has a different approach, please hare it.

Thanks

JM