PDA

View Full Version : GlossyDVDs? automated dvd rec/printing

Randall Chesbro
02-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Does any one know where to get Glossy printable DVD-r or if they even make them.
and has anyone had good luck with automated dvd burners and printing systems.?

Ivan
02-18-2005, 02:41 PM
No idea on Glossy DVDs but Primera makes a good automated printer. How many are you hoping to print and in how short of time do you want to print them? The BravoII prints abuot 1 disk per minute full coverage I think. Unless you are doing short runs of 20 or so you will not want to duplicate and print on this because you will be limited by the duplication.

Ivan

Randall Chesbro
02-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Id be duping antwheres from 1 to 500 dvds at that point after sending them out to get copied i could buy a automated copy print set up. the way prices have come down on dvd recorders. I was still hoping to get a glossy look if i can find any.

Avebeno
02-19-2005, 10:33 AM
They're not glossy, but Fuji has some Silver Printabe DVDs that look much nicer than the White Printable DVDs. Have you looked at them?

Mylenium
02-19-2005, 12:47 PM
You cannot get glossy CD-R/ DVD-R just with inkjet printing. The printing layer itself must be flat to allow the ink to be absorbed. It doesn't matter if you use white ones or silver ones, even though I would agree that print on silver looks a bit better and more intense. Just as the automated printer, Primera make a special laminator that protects the printed surface and makes it glossy. In the meantime you could try to use spray cans or airbrushing with non-agressive, acrylic based varnishes. It's a bit tricky to find the right technique at first and the smell from the solvants is terrible, but you can get some nice results even with this hand work.

Mylenium

Randall Chesbro
02-19-2005, 02:22 PM
i never heard of printing on silver. how would you get white? and why can you buy glossy white labels but not already on the dvd.?

Mylenium
02-20-2005, 04:35 AM
i never heard of printing on silver. how would you get white? and why can you buy glossy white labels but not already on the dvd.?

The paper itself is an absorbant medium as well as the glossy effect. The gloss is not varnish, but some form of gelatine or other organic based compound. With a directly printable disc this is another story. You need to have a real "paint" that is

a) hard enough to protect the disc
b) sticky enough to - erm - stick to the rather smooth polycarbonate
c) is flat enough to allow the ink to sink in (= the paticles are spread widely enough to leave space for the ink to sink in)
d) be as little sensitive to changes in temperature, air moisture, hard impacts etc. as possible to avoid warping or damaging dthe disc

You see, it's a totally different story than on paper. It doesn't matter much, which color it is - white is chemically the same mixture as leaving the cover compound transparent, except for added titanium oxide and chalk. You could have many other colors just as well, but there is no demand for that.

Mylenium

Avebeno
02-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Randall,
The Silver is bight enough that is passes as white, but has a much nicer look than flat white.

I used the silver DVDs with a red, white, and blue American Patriotic graphic for the DVD label, and comparing the two, the silver looked more polished and had a professional presentation.

A friend described the printing on the silver to have a depth dimensionality to it.

Tom Wood
02-20-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm using the silver printable DVDs in an Epson R320 inkjet printer and I'm really happy with the way they look. I put a blur on both the outer and inner edges so they don't look like there's a stick-on label. The silver works surprisingly well for white.

TW