PDA

View Full Version : IK Boost Bug

spec24
02-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know what this might be? I got these when I activated IK Boost on my skeleton. The IK Boost does not work properly, movement's are irratic and too large for the mouse movements. Anyone ever seen this?

spec24
02-17-2005, 07:45 PM
okay - here's what happened - seems like a bug to me. I recorded the pivot rotation of my base bone - the root. That's it. Then when I activated IK Booster on the rig I got these funny lines and unusable IK Booster. Before I recored pivot rotation I could apply IKBooster just fine and it worked great.

SplineGod
02-18-2005, 01:40 AM
Just curious...
Why did you apply RPR to your root bone?

Those lines I believe show some kind of vector or direction. I know thats what theyre for with dynamics at least.

After you applied IKB what other settings did you apply?

jeanphi
02-18-2005, 05:57 AM
An other thing IKBoost don't likes is "scale".
I have the same result if I use the scale/strech tool. And I can't use IKBoost after.

There are lots of other problems with IKBoost.
Handle (the green square handle) doesn't work properly in many cases and IK block often untill you rotate manualy your items/bones first. So you can't use "fix".
By the way, teh "Fix" option isn't working better and don't do anything in many cases too.

IKBoost is still a R&D (Research and Development) project/toy not a production tool. Animanium is far more a finished product.

What we need first is an enhancement of native LW rotation solving engine (IK anf FK). That will help us to get better IK behaviour without gimballock. The use of worl/local coordinate system will not create any more wrong rotations walues that make your items spine awfully.

spec24
02-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Just curious...
Why did you apply RPR to your root bone?

Those lines I believe show some kind of vector or direction. I know thats what theyre for with dynamics at least.

After you applied IKB what other settings did you apply?

Because for whatever reason, when I create skelegons in modeler, even though all bones were created in the same window (all pitches should be aligned), the first bone created rotates in such a way (after being converted to bones in layout) that the heading and bank are the same.

Vector or direction in relation to what??? Nothing has happened yet to the skeleton. They have no keyframe applied, what would it mean? Either way the IKBooster is useless in this state. Take that back - this picture does have some regular (non IKBooster) keyframes on some bones. But I did do the whole operation again without any keyframes on a previous version of the scene. Same effect at frame 0 with no keyframes on anything.

I did nothing after applying IKBooster. What you is see is the state of affairs right after applying it. Trying to move the nodes then twists up the skeleton in horrible model mangling ways :)

jeanphi
02-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Is there any scale key in your model and on your bones?
If there is scale keys IKBoost will be broken.
Try to set all your scales to 1 for evry thing.

spec24
02-18-2005, 08:10 AM
yes in fact the model which owns the bones is scaled up slightly. However IK Booster works fine with this. I can move the nodes all over heck and back and get predictable, likeable results. It's not until I record the pivot rotation of the parent/root bone that this occurs.

SplineGod
02-18-2005, 11:08 AM
I have a rig with IKBooster applied. It moves quickly and its pretty smooth.
If I scale up the rig it will act strange. I dont typically do this anyways.

I also applied RPR to my root bone with no adverse effects. This is something else I wouldnt do anyways. Do you have a specfic reason to run RPR on your root bone?

Im finding IKB to be very stable and I have a lot more control over the rig then I would with a standard IK setup. IK/FK is available at the same time, I can modify the IK chain on the fly as well as pin/unpin on the fly. Being able to load/save poses and motions is really nice too. :)

spec24
02-18-2005, 11:54 AM
I scaled up my rig b4 applying IKBooster so this may make a difference. I don't have any problems with the IKBoost beofre doing the RPR. Maybe it's this strange combination in the order I have them done that is affecting it. I'd like to RPR my root bone to get rid of the gimble lock on it. I suppose I could use local or world coordinates but in the past I've always gotten such strange problems when doing that. Maybe I could solve the problem by splitting the root bone and making it very tiny - in essence making a new sub-root bone :)

SplineGod
02-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Ill be interested in seeing what you come up with.
Also if you want post your rig up (just the bones). :)

spec24
02-18-2005, 05:08 PM
yep - that's it - If I apply RPR first and then apply the IKBoost I get no problem. As soon as I scale I get those lines and an unmanageable IKBoost. If I scale first and apply IKBoost I still have no problem, it works fine. And if I IKBoost first and then scale I get no problems. It's when the RPR is thrown into the mix that I get the errors. This is definetely a bug it would seem. Splitting the root bone didn't solve my problem. I'll have to find another means when I get around to it :) Thanks Larry!

SplineGod
02-18-2005, 05:55 PM
What are you doing that requires the scaling?

spec24
02-19-2005, 06:04 AM
well, in this particular case I needed the model to be larger than another model.

SplineGod
02-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Theres a command in the setup tab called Scale Hierarchy. :)