PDA

View Full Version : Facing his twilight

peteb
02-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Well decided that there's not much else I can do with this now so I rendered out two versions. I'm not sure which one I like the best to be honest so it would be good to hear what people think. I actually made this model just to brush up on my Zbrush skills (no pun intended). But thought I'd add a background and a shirt and jumper just to have a complete scene. Everything was rendered in Lightwave and the shirt and jumper were textured and modelled in Lightwave. I only used zbrush to add wrinkles to his face.

I'm probably going to change the background in the frst one a bit and add a clock instead of the picture.

Thanks for everyone's help in making this, I learnt quite a lot.

Pete B

Imatk
02-17-2005, 07:32 PM
I love the first one... I wouldn't change a thing on that... I love the way the light catches in his left eye.

Good lighting/texturing.

The second one looks a little flat to me. I think it's just the lighting, but I'm not sure... in any case great work man :)

trygve
02-17-2005, 08:45 PM
This is beatiful work. I like the second best, no doubt. It's like he's waiting or longing for someone. The window and light is very symbolic.

cgbloke2004
02-17-2005, 08:59 PM
i love these.
in an odd way, i went 'aaww'. when i saw them.

you know, it reminds me of my father, post numerous strokes and heart-attacks. i know, an odd thing to post, but if i catch him off guard when he sits by the window and gazes out into the garden, he kind of strikes a pose - and a look in his eyes [his personality and eyesight took a nosedive as a result of the aforementioned problems] - that you seem to have captured there.
makes me sad, but in a way that makes your work here all the better.. if you know what i mean.. heh..
[i'm trying to say theyre good :) ]

as a previous poster said, the light catching the eye in the second one is great!

veljko
02-18-2005, 02:04 AM
the first one is better imho.
I like the work,
one thing though, i would turn down the grain in the image..with more antialiasing or a median effect..
and one more thing- i allways hated that the hair effects dont throw shadow on the objects...i would make the skin under the hair a bit more darker into the shadow by hand if it was me.

hope this helps!:)

peteb
02-18-2005, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
A few things I'd like to say. CGbloke the character is modelled off my Grandad. he's staying in our house at the moment as my Gran died back in March and he hasn't really coped since. I look back at photos of only a few years ago and he has so much more life in him then. When I modelled him I just got him in a standard pose. But after looking at his expression I felt like he'd lost all the inspiration and energy of his soul, although there was something about it, maybe the slight up curve of his mouth that suggested to me that he was at his end and looking forward to to death.
I shouldn't really say that as he's still with us but I just feel that he feels lost here now with out his wife, even though he has his family around him.
I tried to get the light to express this as well, like the last rays of the sun before they dissapear beind the horizon. Which is why I called it Facing his Twilight. Actually the other piece is named The last Rays not sure what name I prefer.

The first pic isn't actually the final render. It's radiosity and it set quite low with a low antialiasing setting. I will do a final big piece but wanted to know that it felt right.
The hair was also a rush last night at about 1:00am which is why it doesn't have shadow. Again I'll try and do a better job in the very final image. There's a couple of other bits I'm going to have to touch up a bit but overall I'm happy with the result.

The second piece is a number of area lights which is why it may come across a bit flat.

Once again thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it.

Pete B

Rory_L
02-20-2005, 10:55 PM
You`ve done very well with this. The eyes look much better now.

I might just say `contrapposto`, though that sounds terribly arty-f.arty. It`s just that if the head, shoulders and eyes were rotated against each other you might get an even more lifelike effect. You`re going for wistful, so the eyes could be cast down a bit maybe?

Cheers,

R

adrian
02-21-2005, 01:08 AM
To be honest I like both of them. If I had to choose I would say the 1st is a little better due to the lighting. The coffin dodger is excellently modelled/textured and he has a wonderfully sad/reflective look on his face.

A truly great piece of work!

Adrian.

evenflcw
02-21-2005, 03:35 AM
Awsome work! I also like both, but for different reasons. Like people already have mentioned, the first one has more interesting lighting (with abit of a translucency and SSS effect even). The second one however seems to tell a story, which the first one doesn't. As you already suggested yourself the background need something else, hopefully something more personal than a watch, like maybe a photograph of a family or family member. Something that would let the viewer relate to the character by other means than just his appearence. Superb work.

Starlost
02-21-2005, 08:27 AM
wowsers yes great work. I like the look and feel of the first picture best. Mainly due to the shirt, it looks much more real in the first image than it does in the 2nd. The 2nd image makes the shirt look almost paper thin. I would adjust the thickness of the shirt just a tad bit to give it more depth perhaps use the velvet shader on it to give it that fuzzy feel. not the harsh paperish feel that I'm getting fromt the 2nd image perhaps it's just the angle.. dunno.

But you've succeeded in putting alot of us into the envy zone. Good Job. I always liked the photoreal over the cartoony stuff. The skin texturing is just about the best that I have seen in a long long long ( did I mention long) time.

Render On!

Starlost

chemaelizondo
02-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Hello.
This is a very impressive piece or work.
Outstanding from the technical point of view and also a very poetic setting.

One small thing though... certain parts of the ear look a bit flat, but than again meybe is just me.
:rolleyes:

How did you do the hair? Sasquash?
Looks great

Thanks

JM

peteb
02-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the adive everyone. I'm rendering out a really large version at the moment and it's going to take a few days.

Rory_L

I thought about what you said and think it's a good idea. I was going to turn his body but realised that if I did his next would be slightly strained in real life. I know I could change this to look like that but I've now got a dead line to meet so just haven't got the time. But that's it's a good point and something I'll consider in the future.

Evenflcw

Yeah I kept thinking about changing the background but I'm going to leave it now for the same reason as above.

Starlost. I agree with the shirt but I'm going to go with the first image which like you say looks ok so won't need changing.

Chemaelizonda

If you're talking about the lobe then I have to agree. I actually kept meaning to change that and just always forgot because of all the other stuff I was doing. I know now you've pointed that out it's going to annoy me everytime I look at it. But I guess with any piece of art you're never completely happy with it so I'm just going to have to live with it now.

And thanks for all the compliments. It really helps with your confidence. I always find it hard to know of I'm improving or not so it really helps when you get replies like those above. Really gives you the enthusiasm to go on and create ore work.

pete B

Pete B