PDA

View Full Version : the PC approach

chemaelizondo
02-17-2005, 05:10 PM
As I keep buying more and more books about LW I come to relize that many of the experts that write those books not only are well versed in LW, as they should be, but most of them use a PC to work.

You can tell because very often they print the application wondows to explain how to achieve any given step.

Im conviced that Mac is a far superior platform, but than I can┤t help to wonder why so many tanlented people work with PC.

Do they know something we dont know?

Cheers.

eblu
02-18-2005, 07:16 AM
As I keep buying more and more books about LW I come to relize that many of the experts that write those books not only are well versed in LW, as they should be, but most of them use a PC to work.

You can tell because very often they print the application wondows to explain how to achieve any given step.

Im conviced that Mac is a far superior platform, but than I can┤t help to wonder why so many tanlented people work with PC.

Do they know something we dont know?

Cheers.

lots of cheeky humor comes to mind in response to this, but the deal is... lots of people use Pcs. it used to be that photoshop books only showed the mac version, and now its the opposite. most photoshop books now show windows screen captures exclusively. does that mean that I should be on a pc? no it certainly does not. it means that the person who wrote the book was using a Pc at the time, it has no bearing on how Photoshop works (just because its in print, does not necessarily make it so). This is a "grass is greener" situation. you have to figure out for yourself where the grass is greener, and then get thyself there.

I use a mac, despite all of the gotchas LW presents on the mac I am much more productive than I would be on a pc. its just the way it works for me, the way I'm wired. I would leave Lightwave before I would leave the mac. hopefully I won't be forced to do either.

mrunion
02-18-2005, 07:32 AM
It is personal preference. It's whatever you prefer. as far as "know something you don't", we just know that hardware is cheaper, software is usually cheaper, there is more support from more source, etc.

Windows sucks (in my opinion). But once you learn it, it's like anything else -- just a tool. Use what you want. Only time will tell who lasts longer.

Captain Obvious
02-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Windows may be a big pile of steaming... well, I better not go on. But essentially, when you're inside Lightwave, you don't really notice the difference, do you? ;) But in Photoshop, on the other hand, I really don't know why you would want to use anything but Mac. In my experience, Photoshop is a lot "smoother" in Mac OS, and lots of images open and no ExposÚ makes Jack a dull boy...

Beamtracer
02-20-2005, 05:41 PM
we just know that hardware is cheaper, software is usually cheaper Software is cheaper on Windows?

Let's find cheaper DVD software than iDVD
Let's find cheaper or better fully featured DVD software than DVD Studio Pro
Let's find a cheaper compositor than Motion
Let's find cheaper High Definition video editing software than Final Cut Pro

Hmmm?

Who knows, maybe there is cheaper accounting software on Windows, I don't know. But we're in the content creation business, and the software available to the Mac is both cheaper and better than for Windows.

Andyjaggy
02-26-2005, 01:25 PM
I feel a platform battle coming on here. Being in the situation where I use both on a daily basis I feel qualified to say it really does not matter, I tend to lean towards Macs especially when video is concerned (you just can't beat Apples production set in my opinion, especially for the cost) but in the end you could accomplish the exact same thing on a PC... it just might take you longer. It's more about personal preferance and the way you think and work then anything.

Captain Obvious
02-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I am so very sick of the "the end result will be the same"-argument in the Mac vs Windows-debate (or iTunes vs WinAmp, Lightwave vs 3DSM, whatever). The question is not what you can accomplish. I can take a rowboat to London just as well as I can take the airplane there. The end result is the same; I get to London in one piece. Does that mean it doesn't matter which method I choose? ;)

Just because I can accomplish the same thing with different tools doesn't mean it doesn't matter. Of course, inside Lightwave, you generally don't notice which platform it is you're using anyway.

Johnny
02-26-2005, 03:21 PM
I wonder if it's because 3D was so long the domain of the intel-based machines that people who are now "big guns" in 3D have just been with that platform for so long?

Not that Macs haven't had their own 3D apps all along, but as Pre-X Mac OS got longer and longer in the tooth, the PC side was leaping ahead in other areas favorable to 3D work?

just a guess..

Captain Obvious
02-26-2005, 04:15 PM
That sounds about right, Johnny.

brayne
02-27-2005, 03:43 AM
Another thing worth considering is that even if the people making these books are Mac users, they may use PCs for the screen captures so that they have a better chance of selling the books to PC users. Let's face it they make up over 95% of the computer market.