PDA

View Full Version : Radiosity exclusion ?

Flat
04-17-2003, 06:35 AM
Hi folks,
I'm trying to add a 500% luminous poly in a radiosity render to provide some glint in my character eyes.
To do this, you just add the poly, turn off all shadows on it, exclude from lights and radiosity, right ?
Wrong. Somehow this single poly, about excluded from everything (all lights, no shadows, radiosity) messes up the radiosity solution, introducing the (in)famous "blotches" in an otherwise clean render.

Any ideas ?

Phil :confused:

mattclary
04-17-2003, 06:39 AM
I assume you are using Shading Noise Reduction and decent level of anti-aliasing? Also, maybe turn off adaptive sampling?

Simon
04-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Well it's a bit misleading but excluding an object from radiosity only means it's own surface won't be lit by radiosity, it will still light other surfaces though (hence your blotches), you'd have to make the object 'unseen by rays' to stop it affecting other objects I think, but then errrr it won't show in your reflections! You could have your eye surface reflecting 'ray trace and spherical map' then have an image to try and make that extra reflection?

Simon.

mattclary
04-17-2003, 08:51 AM
You could use a spotlight and turn off everything but "Affects Specularity". There was a guy who did a red dragon on the cover of Keyframe a while back that did that. Can't remember his name.

Flat
04-17-2003, 09:08 AM
Holy (LW) cow !
Well I'll be... Doh. :D
Okay, now I get it. Heh, guess it's one of these things you have to be bitten by to know.
Reflection map it will be then, thanks guys !

Phil, firing up Photoshop ;)

Lynx3d
04-17-2003, 12:22 PM
I really wish there were seperate options for reflection/refraction and radiosity rays...