PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Kawoosh

JohnMarchant
02-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Hi Guys ive finally decided to crack this kawoosh thing once and for all. I have been working on it on and off. Im not intersted in the texturing or color just the mesh animation of it. Im at the moment using endomorphs for it. Only 1 but im thinking of changing to several to change the shape as it goes out.

Any suggestions or tips from you guys is always welcomed. Sorry no images as there still on my laptop.

Regards John

JohnMarchant
02-18-2005, 05:52 AM
Ive moved this to Tips & Tricks and hopefully i might get a better response,

Thanks, John

DMarkwick
02-18-2005, 02:05 PM
What kawoosh thing? You mean the effect when the gate turns on? Like something dropped into water as filmed below the water surface? I reckon that's a practical effect, done exactly that way.

Original1
02-18-2005, 02:59 PM
The animation of the stargate was not done using CGI It was done with a horozontal pool of fluid and composited.

Two or three different methods might be employed,

An Endomorph to deform the mesh, with some kind of displacement texture whose expression is plugged in to the endomorph value.

Displace a series of point to which are attached Hypervoxels

Displace a series of particle emitters which produce particles with a short life span which boil away.

Any combination of the above

JohnMarchant
02-19-2005, 04:04 AM
Thanks for some info. Im using the endomorphs at the moment. I dont think there really any need to use hypervoxels. Its just getting the shape right.

Originally it was a comp shot, airblast in water tank, but in later episodes they used CGI, not sure which program but the producer quoted as saying "it gave them more control and flexibility over how it looked and also cut down some of the restrictions. Also after a while you got used to seeing the same one over and over again.

The Original film had a whirlpool effect at the back after the kawoosh, but they would have needed a bigger set.

Thanks anyway, i will keep trying, im thinking of using the ripple S beta 3 plugin, its great and works in 8.2 now

Regards, John