PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari Mug

flakester
02-17-2005, 04:01 AM
Howdy all.

Thought I would try to model and texture something that I have good reference of: My Ferrari mug!!
C+C more than welcome, I'm new to Lightwave, so all the help and pointers I can get is good.
(Let's try and keep the Ferrari-fan-jibes to a minimum though please, I get enough of that off friends and family!!!)

Cheers,

flakester.

Lightwolf
02-17-2005, 04:08 AM
Nice, I like the little details. I just wonder... do you really drink _that_ much tea? It took me a bit to see the grime(?), on a first glance I thought it was a rendering error. I'd tone it down a bit and change the colour a bit, maybe make it a bit softer.

That is my only gripe though ;)

BTW, gorgeous reflections, I'd add one more on the front though (o.k., I admit, second gripe ;) ).

Cheers,
Mike - with a Siggraph mug :D

flakester
02-17-2005, 04:57 AM
Two justified gripes. :)

You are right on both counts Mike: On point one; it's sad but yes, I do drink that much tea!! (see the photo!) But you are bang on the money about the colour and the harshness.

On point two: I was hoping for a greater reflection on the front-side, maybe I need to tweak my gradient or stick some lume-objects/images behind the camera. More likely that it's a gradient issue - or to be picky - possibly a HDRI heading rotation thing :S I'll find out!

Cheers.

flakester.

p.s. - I'd like to see what a Siggraph mug looks like!

Lightwolf
02-17-2005, 05:04 AM
Two justified gripes. :)

Hehe, you should hear me when I have _unjustified_ gripes ;)

You are right on both counts Mike: On point one; it's sad but yes, I do drink that much tea!! (see the photo!) But you are bang on the money about the colour and the harshness.

Nothing sad about it,not compared to my coffee drinking habits ;) I just remembered what my tea mugs look like though (and no, I never mix coffee and tea mugs).

On point two: I was hoping for a greater reflection on the front-side, maybe I need to tweak my gradient or stick some lume-objects/images behind the camera. More likely that it's a gradient issue - or to be picky - possibly a HDRI heading rotation thing :S I'll find out!

I'm quite a fan of luminous stripes and stuff. You could create a fake window (4 quads with a little space between them), or if you're into studio lighting, one quad with a weight map on the vertices that you can use to create a gradient in the luminous channel.

p.s. - I'd like to see what a Siggraph mug looks like!
I have three, but no photos or anything. I'll probably need to model them some time ... some free time *sigh*

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. did you notice, I didn't mention Ferrari once ;)

flakester
02-22-2005, 04:03 AM
Took your advice Lightwolf,

here is a re-render with a less harsh grime texture and a lume-object. Took the amb-occ up a few tones too.

C+C still welcome tho!

Cheers all.

flakester.

@ Lightwolf: oh yeah, cheers for not poking at the Ferrari thang! :p

Lightwolf
02-22-2005, 04:10 AM
Hehe, much better. I'd tint the grim a bit, but otherwise very nice.

Where does that white border outside the ferrari logo? Is that on purpose to make it look like a sticker, or a leftover from a alpha channel created in Photoshop?

Cheers,
Mike

flakester
02-22-2005, 04:24 AM
Cheers Lightwolf.

The white border is something that is on the original, I had to go against all I know to expand the alpha in places!!

I think I may take that grime map off, and just make another one. The one that is on the mug was just kinda thrown together in minutes. I'll actually put some study into the next one! :p

flakester.

Lightwolf
02-22-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi flakester...

The white border is something that is on the original, I had to go against all I know to expand the alpha in places!!

I think I may take that grime map off, and just make another one. The one that is on the mug was just kinda thrown together in minutes. I'll actually put some study into the next one! :p

Here I go for being picky again ;)

Cheers,
Mike

flakester
02-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Lol Lightwolf!!

Well, creating and re-creating stuff outside of office hours keeps me off the streets!!

Keeps me out of pubs too! :(

:p

Cheers

flakester.

Lightwolf
02-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Well, creating and re-creating stuff outside of office hours keeps me off the streets!!

Keeps me out of pubs too! :(

*grin* Well, I do the same thing _during_ office hours, but being self employed, it means that it keeps me off the streets and out of pubs just as well :( (In summer it is worse, since it keeps me out of beer gardens... *ouch*) ;)

Cheers,
Mike