PDA

View Full Version : wildcat VP

flohtzke
04-17-2003, 06:53 AM
hello

does someone use lightwave with the graphic-card "wildcat VP" ?

i use a "normal" radeon 8500, and i would like to know if it's worth to change?
i know a have a bad swiss-english but it would be nice if someone could answer me.

thanks f.georgi

mattclary
04-17-2003, 07:13 AM
Yeah, I'd like an answer to this also, thinking about upgrading eventually. The card I'm considering is the VP 870. I'm convinced it would do very well with LightWave (ssen benchamarks for LW that beat out other cards), but am concerned how well it would do for games.

ecliptic87
04-18-2003, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry in advance for being vague. For example I do know that professional graphics cards are designed to make sure that when rendering, every pixel is "drawn" in the correct place in a frame. With Gaming graphics card ie. Nvidia Geforce, ATI Radeon, the emphasis is put on speed, refresh rate and so forth.
So when your playing a game at 30 or more fps you aren't really worried about a couple of pixels out of place at any given frame because its too fast to watch while your trying not to die or something to nature.
This is just one important example for differences between Professional and Gaming cards.

dwburman
04-24-2003, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at the vp 870 card so I'd like to hear if anyone here has one and how it's working out for them.

VWTornado
04-25-2003, 09:01 AM
The Wildcat cards are those $600+ dollar professional 3D cards aren't they? I was one for $900 that had 512 MB of VIDEO RAM!! wow :D I'm also curious how these perform for video games AND 3D modeling and rendering.

Darttman
04-25-2003, 09:20 AM
I have the wildcatvp 560

The entire line in the VP chipset is geared towards graphics and not games. The open gl support is very good and I use my card on a dual monitor set.

Poke around the 3Dlabs' wildcat forums to get a feel for what type of questions people are asking abouth the cards. Boy what a difference this card is from my old gforce2mmx! (even with the softquadro) I think it was worth the $200 I spent for the enrtry level card.

All in all a good product and I think you will notice a perfomance difference with a "true" workstaion card vs a "gaming" card.

have fun

mattclary
04-25-2003, 11:56 AM
You can get the VP 870 for around $334. Darttman, how does your card fair on games? Have you played any? I know the 3D Labs cards probably won't perform as well as Nvidia for games, but is it passable? You know, like 30fps in first person shooters?

VP 870 at Royal Computers

http://www.goroyalpc.com/

flohtzke
04-25-2003, 02:30 PM
hello again

i've install my wildcat ( VP870 ) today and it works very well... i have try some LIGHTWAVE some openGL benchmark, (it's much better than my "old radeon 8500" :D :D :D) . i didin't try games... yet... we will see what my Wildcat do with these DirectX-thing even if it's a professional card and not a card for game.

florian.g.

VWTornado
04-25-2003, 03:20 PM
I'd like to know what happens with games with these Wildcat cards...please keep up updated as you test your new card out. :)

Darttman
04-26-2003, 09:24 AM
I do not have ANY (too busy) games on my work box at the moment so no 3dbenchmark.... I do like my radeon pro9800 for games with the p4 2.4 proc and a gig of pc3200 in a shuttle minin-cube though :)

Check out the 3Dlabs forums I have found a few post about game performances there on the wild cat line.

I am currently changing out my tyan S2466 MB for a msi k7d master-l board. The tyan causes interference with the vid card from the #2 proc which is over the top of the agp port.

Something tells me no great scores for games with these cards but should be playable

...hmmm now an extra tyan dual mb for another render node....

Lynx3d
04-26-2003, 09:53 AM
According to this article Wildcat VPs are pretty much the best for LW:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/profcards/1review-3dlabs-wildcats.html

However LW is heavily cpu limited (or in other words way to slow in comparison to other 3d apps...)

I've ony found some gaming benchmarks here so far:
http://www.tilebase.de/reviews/VP560/VP560_07.html
unfortunately it's german...but some pretty interesting tests like overdraw tests etc...

MikeFrHoweTx
04-26-2003, 10:55 AM
http://www.newegg.com has the 128bit VP560 for $175.00 or $285 VP760 256 bit and performs in most cases in LW as well as the Nvidia’s loud and expensive XL980 or Fx5800 cards. Nvidia benchmarks sudden improvement in 3dMark2003 is suspicious as most see no LW difference from the 400MX cards. Soon as Opteron and Intel’s 800mhz buses settle in it s/b time for LW8 and mega upgrading of my present 400mx and AMD1.4. Mike

Ron Schatz
04-29-2003, 12:50 PM
LW 75 the VP870 Is Crashing on me 5 times in the last hr while modeling a new job, I never used the s key as much as today.

Do the people know some fixes?

happens went moving the OpenGL window pers. view (Texture on)

mattclary
04-29-2003, 01:18 PM
When did it start? What changed at that time? Try newer drivers, or older ones if you're on the newest. Has this ever worked? If so, see questions number one and two.

Ron Schatz
04-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Ok I update LW7.5 to b, used 3dlabs latest dated Driver, and reset OpenGL settings for dual Mons. 3 or was it 4 restarts
the same file opened with better Color and sofar uncrashed.

To me this is an unsupported fix, but somebodys gots to do it.

This card VP870 is smooth, the work I do can get heavy and bog me down but now it just goes, I don't wait for redraws.

These setting should makes this card rock solid.
Cost of card makes this thing a great work horse.
Games are played on game PCs (9700) not workstations

PS the Quatto 4 950 ? nivia card is probably $160.00 more but looks 40% faster. PCstats had something on it.

I Payed $440. for VP870

mattclary
04-30-2003, 07:37 AM
I don't have the luxury of having a seperate gaming computer, plus play games infrequently, but when I do, iwant them to play well. So you've never played any games with the VP 870?

flohtzke
05-01-2003, 01:15 PM
ehm... i use now my wildcat vp870 since 1 week , and try some games ... the openGL 'ones work fine (for me and my old system : dual p3 1000mhz) but if you want use the newest games (with directX9 and all this stuff ) it won't work or in the best case with very slow fps...anyway

i'm still trying to write in english :( ! hope you understand what i want to say .....florian.g

VWTornado
05-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by flohtzke
i'm still trying to write in english :( ! hope you understand what i want to say .....florian.g

We understand you just fine. ;) That sucks such a "high-end" video card won't play games very well. Why is that? My PC works fine for me in Lightwave, but I haven't done any really crazy models or animations yet, so I've never needed a lot. I run a P3 800 with 512 MB of RAM (128 MB nVidia video card).

Aegis
05-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Hmm... not sure how reliable those benchmarks for LightWave are - I just did the SpaceColony test at the same settings as in the article and got 16.2fps (better than all the cards on test) - the MechWalker_wFog scene gave me 50fps putting my overclocked, SoftQuadro'ed GeForce4 Ti4200 on a par with a Quadro4 980 XGL - I'd never buy a pro card - they're a serious waste of money.

System specs in case you're wondering - Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.5ghz, 512mb RDRAM, Albatron Ti4680 Turbo (GF4 Ti4200), WinXP Pro.