PDA

View Full Version : Big ancient temple thing

cathuria
02-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Sand, sun, and really big blocks of rock... inspired by ancient architecture, this is sorta finished. I'm happy with the temple thingie itself, but the composition seems a little sparse... or maybe it just needs cropping... hmmm... :confused:

jbr3d
02-16-2005, 02:21 PM
I like your ancient building. It reminds me of ancient Crete or Minoan architecture.
Looking at even more , it could be a modern building built today...like a modern museum?
I would add some more variation to the walls and try creating water around the moat?
plus some vegetation and trees would make it less sparse...and even perhaps a closer
viewing angle, so it doesn't resemble a 3d model...even though it is :o

Looking good........

starbase1
02-17-2005, 05:41 AM
Very nice - a couple of things look a bit incomplete to me though - like it could use some sort of big centrepeice in the middle of the top.

I'm also a bit unsure about the short row of pillars with the blocks on - pillars were used to support something, the ones you see now like that are where the roof or whatever is missing. I think they need a purpose.

I do like it a lot though.
Nick

cathuria
02-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks for comments, all.
starbase: I actually debated for a while about putting a big piece on top... I eventually decided it would weaken the stocky-blockiness of the whole thing that I was going for; I didn't want it to have a peak, but more of a plateau.

As for the pillars, did you mean the rows on the top level? If I recall my terminology correctly, that's a collonade with architrave -- they built things like that back when. Pillars could be used for ornamental purposes as well as "merely" functional uses. And anyhow, I really liked how it looked... <pout, pout> ;)

eriko
02-17-2005, 02:24 PM
It looks pretty good, though I would put some sort of large golden statue or obelisk in there to give it more. Or if you had a sunset scence with this building that would be cool.

etobiason
02-17-2005, 02:38 PM
I think this is a great start. My main concern is I'm not sure what the building is. I mean... if it is a temple, then I'd like to see the statues of some god. Some vegetation to suggest the temple was built in an oasis, maybe a couple of outlying buildings for the monks. If it's an ancient library, then maybe it should be a part of a bigger city.

The sparseness is okay, I think, but maybe you should pull OUT to accentuate it, if that's the mood you want to get. This medium shot doesn't do the sparseness justice.

-e

eriko
02-17-2005, 03:35 PM
yes, give it a giant statue of ra of something, and maybe put a river flowing nearby with some farmers. Maybe the nile river

cathuria
02-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Mmm... obelisks. Mmm... pull the camera back. See, that's why I come to this forum -- youse guys is smart.
Well, now it's finished -- at least for now. Time to move on to the next project & get a fresh look at it later.
Thanks!

etobiason
02-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Much cooler! :)