PDA

View Full Version : Can't Render Polygons in Scene

andrewBwinter
02-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Newbie to the program and the forum. Looking forward to the support during the learning curve.

I have a problem with rendering.
When I set the render options and hit F10 to render scene, the activity window sticks at rendering polygons (in the first frame) and doesn't do anything after that but "hang" on pass 1/9 in the first frame "rendering polygons" Odd sort of a thing to happen, on the first frame no less.

Running LW8 on an OSX G4 800 with 768 RAM.

Much obliged for any help you can provide.

Best
Andrew

toby
02-15-2005, 10:36 PM
How long does it hang? Some renders can take days. Turn on 'view render in progress' and you can see if it's rendering or stalled

Captain Obvious
02-16-2005, 08:00 AM
What are your rendering settings? With a few dozen lights and a lot of radiosity and blurred reflections, it'll probably take a few days to complete even the first pass.

andrewBwinter
02-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Yes, I suppose some details are in order.

Based on Inside Lightwave 8, I created a brick wall with a collision obeject, plane, etc. per the DVD tut. and added a volumetric light behind an object that appears after the wall "explodes" to give it a nice foggy effect.

I was able to render it once, however after that, some of the errors include:
the hang - which actually just sits there with absolutely no advancement on anything
lights not "on", but it advances to render the next frame sans light.

The scene has:
one front light on the wall
one volumetric behind the wall and the obeject it illuminates
a collection of blocks that are set-up per the ILW8 DVD
a collsion object and a collision plane.

The progress window reads "Computing shadow map for light" then it hangs on the next step which is rendering polygons and it won't budge.

It sounds like something is corrupt. Is that possible within layout to corrupt the file (or LWO)

I can't reproduce the original render no matter how hard I try.

Hope that helps.

a

andrewBwinter
02-16-2005, 07:51 PM
How long does it hang? Some renders can take days. Turn on 'view render in progress' and you can see if it's rendering or stalled

Aye, there's the rub.

After taking the time to post a lengthy explaination, I returned to Layout and found...drum roll please...polygons on pass 1/9 on frame 1.

Tiiiiiiiime is on my side, yes it is....

Thanks for the heads-up people.

best,
a

toby
02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
I'd certainly render it without volumetric lights until this is figgered out... so how long is it hanging before you cancel it? 1/2 hour isn't long enough to be sure when you have special effects like vol. lights and dynamics, and your machine is not terribly fast either. A good way to proceed here is to do a tiny render with no effects, see if it renders, then add effects one at a time -

andrewBwinter
02-17-2005, 06:04 AM
In time smaller tests would seem to be the way to go.

In the long run, perhaps an internet render farm is an option as well.

Thanks, guys (girls)

a