PDA

View Full Version : Registering older Lightwave question

lrf
02-15-2005, 11:12 AM
When buying from a privater seller, what is the oldest version of an unopened edition of Lightwave (like versions 4 - 6) that can still be registered by newtek?
I ask, because so often I see these versions being offered.
Thanks

Kurtis
02-15-2005, 03:56 PM
lrf,

You can register any version of LightWave, no matter how old. However, if it has never been registered by anyone, upgrading it to the current version will cost $1195. If it was previously registered, it will cost you $495 to upgrade to the current version, as long as the previous owner contacts Customer Service and transfers the registration to you.

Contact Customer Service, and they'll get you set up.

One word of advice when buying a previously owned version of LightWave. There has never been a full version of LightWave that did not come with some kind of hardware lock. If it is a standalone version, it needs a parallel-port (PC), ADB (Mac), or USB (either) dongle. If it was a part of a Video Toaster or VT system, the VT card serves as the hardware lock. If it is a legal copy, and does not have a hardware lock of some kind, it is an upgrade, not a full version. If they tell you it is a full version but that it does not require a hardware lock, don't buy it. It's not legit.

private
02-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Kurtis, is it Newtek's policy now that if you do skip an upgrade cycle, the catch up is the same price? For example, with the upgrade pricing being $495 and someone with version 5.6 for example wants to catch up, they can pay the upgrade price and get current? Say for example, this person waits until Lightwave 9, and the upgrade price stays at it's current levels, they could get back on board?

mattclary
02-16-2005, 05:16 AM
I doubt if Kurtis or anyone else at Newtek would want to paint themselves into a corner and say "Yes, you will be able to upgarde to [9] for $xxx from any version". Newtek tends to fluctuate on these things a little. The current $495 (electronic) from any version is an awesome deal.

Kurtis
02-16-2005, 08:18 AM
private,

I can't guarantee that our prices won't change in the future. I don't think you'd find any company that would do that.

However, NewTek's current pricing policy is that anyone can upgrade from any previous commercial PC or Mac version of LightWave (as long as it was registered before 01/01/03) to LightWave [8] for $495 ($595 with printed manual), and it has been that way for quite a while now.

Upgrades from SGI or Amiga platforms are a little different.

A full list of our LightWave pricing structure can be found here:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/pricing.html

Even before I worked for NewTek, I recognized that they have always had what I feel are the most liberal and reasonable pricing policies of any major 3D application.

private
02-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Even before I worked for NewTek, I recognized that they have always had what I feel are the most liberal and reasonable pricing policies of any major 3D application.

I agree for the most part! I think the educational version to commercial version upgrade is an excellent deal. Thank you for the information.