PDA

View Full Version : exclude lights from radiosity solution?

neilp
02-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Is it possible to exclude lights from radiosity solution to help speed up render times?

spec24
02-15-2005, 10:50 AM
I believe your only option is to turn down their intensity to 0%.

neilp
02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
HHmmm! What I mean is can I have one or two main lights creating radiosity solution while others don't i.e I am working on an internal atrium scene where my 'sun' coming from the outside creates the radiosity effect, what I want to do now is add numerous accent spot lights but not have them calculate in the radiosity solution.

-NG-
02-15-2005, 12:03 PM
HHmmm! What I mean is can I have one or two main lights creating radiosity solution while others don't i.e I am working on an internal atrium scene where my 'sun' coming from the outside creates the radiosity effect, what I want to do now is add numerous accent spot lights but not have them calculate in the radiosity solution.

If this is what you want to do.....

Render the seperate lighting in different layers and then composite them together. When doing that you can exlude lights from the rendering, so you could render radiosity with the lights you want in a seperate pass, and exlude the rest and vica verse.

Ever seen the animated short bunny? that whas done the same...they rendered the stage and props with radiosity, and then seperatly rendered the charaters using ray tracing techniques. After that they composed it all together and voila :)

Hope this helps.

neilp
02-16-2005, 02:34 AM
How is it possible to render just the lighting pass without the objects that the light
illuminates. i.e if I render a wall with the generic radiosity solution then render a second pass without radiosity, with say uplighters from the floor then the wall surface will lose the radiosity effect when composited. Help!!

mattclary
02-16-2005, 05:04 AM
If all you want are specular highlights, you can just turn off shadows and diffuse for that light.

-NG-
02-16-2005, 10:43 AM
How is it possible to render just the lighting pass without the objects that the light
illuminates. i.e if I render a wall with the generic radiosity solution then render a second pass without radiosity, with say uplighters from the floor then the wall surface will lose the radiosity effect when composited. Help!!

You can render the objects seperately, with a different lighting technique for example you first render the wall object with radiosity, after that you render the other objects with the other lighting, then compose the images together using After Effects or a similar program.