PDA

View Full Version : New G5's on the horizon?

Johnny
02-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Anyone have a sense or any scuttlebutt about what, if any, new G5 hardware might be on the way? Could we be close to some new revision worth waiting for, such as within a couple months, or is the dual 2.5GHz machine pretty much it for awhile?

J

Captain Obvious
02-15-2005, 10:42 AM
The general theory is either a lot in a while (ie, WWDC in june) or less soon, or possibly both. The PowerMacs are lagging behind, what with AGP and DDR1... Unfortunately, as always with Apple, we won't know what or when until they announce it. Sorry.

Johnny
02-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Unfortunately, as always with Apple, we won't know what or when until they announce it. Sorry.

that's true... based on what we *have* been hearing, tho, such as trouble getting a reliable crop of faster G5 chips out of the lab, is it a safe bet that June won't bring some pants-wetting Quad and Octo-G5 guaranteed to warp time and space?

I know..we'll know when Apple sez...maybe.

J

archiea
02-15-2005, 11:44 PM
I heard if you stick your G5 in your car and travel 88 MPH while rendering, your speed will improve!!!

Tony3d
02-16-2005, 08:42 AM
I don't think you'll see anything till at least June, and then it probably won't hit 3 gig.

marinello2003
02-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Here is what I think will happen, the will release a 2.8GHZ high end PowerMac with the new Antares chip. The dual core version will come out later on. They will stick with AGP for the time being. I think it won't be until late 2005 or most likely Macworld 2006 in Jan before you see a PCI Express PowerMac. That will probably be the G6 with the new 980 PPC based on the Power5.

Also you may see a digital hub that bridges the Mac with the living room featuring the new cell processor.

-Brent