PDA

View Full Version : ART to PART on a grand scale

Wade
02-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Ok I need help my client “the Architect “wants to place a horse sculpture on top of his building.

The horse was modeled in Lightwave and exported to the .STL format for small scale sculptures that were made out of resin and place on a scale model – looked good worked well. Now they want this thing full scale for the real building so we are looking into how to cast a 25’ high Pegasus like thing.

Do you have any suggestions or contacts as to where or how one gets a 25’ tall and 25’ wide art to part type thing? It could be done in smaller blocks say 5’ x 5’.

The first though was to have it cast in aluminum, but we me decide to go with a reinforced Styrofoam core with a fiber glass coating. So what we need is some way of getting the model in foam for either a metal casting or base for the fiber glass.

Does any have any Hollywood / Disney contacts that can carve by it out by hand, but can follow drawing to a T.?

Thanks for you help –
If you have a contact you would like to pass on please e-mail me at [email protected]

Wade Woehrmann

Wade
02-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Ok may have found what I need - a shop in Mississippi that does prototype boat hulls, and what not – one big CAD driven machine that carves it out of foam or whatever material. But if anyone would like to suggest something else fire away.

spec24
02-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Ok may have found what I need - a shop in Mississippi that does prototype boat hulls, and what not – one big CAD driven machine that carves it out of foam or whatever material. But if anyone would like to suggest something else fire away.

give them a plug

Wade
02-15-2005, 02:01 PM
If anyone has need of large prototyping let me know I will pass along this guys e-mail address. They don't have a web site.

You will be looking at spending >several< grand for a project. I would not want to flood this shop with folks asking for a 100.00 piece.

Wade ;) - ok justed check it's 150.00 an hour + materials adn I would guess any thing they do would be a min. 3 hours or so.

lesterfoster
03-21-2005, 04:45 AM
If anyone has need of large prototyping let me know I will pass along this guys e-mail address.

:) This is impressive. Can you pass that e-mail address to me? And can I mention that you recommended these guys? :rolleyes:

I am looking for some one who can print out my lightwave models. I have used 3D art to part in the past. I have found the service very good and the prices are good to. But some of the things that I need printed or carved are bigger than what 3D Art to Part can do.

I enjoy using lightwave to make my models much more than making them with my hands. If I could find someone to send my files to, who can 3d print or 3d mill them on a larger scale. Than I know that I would never have to carve these models with my hands ever again.

The biggest one that I have made to date with my hands is about 3.5 feet X 4 feet X 1.5 feet thick. The smallest one is about 10 inches squared by 3 inches thick.

I am starting to have a preference to 3D milling. As with 3D printing, I have found that there is still distortion and shrinkage. 3D printing is similar to a inkjet printer. It just builds it up by layering each pass. 3D milling on the other hand, avoids this problem by carving your object out of a salled block of something. The casting proses on the other hand, shrinks and distorts. And the bigger the object is, the more it will shrink and distort.

Here is a link to a good video that I found showing how 3D milling works
Freeman Manufacturing & Supply Company (http://www.freemansupply.com/video/preparing/machining.htm)

Sincerely
Lester

Wade
03-21-2005, 04:23 PM
fired off an e-mail to you with requested info. I would think with the right materials you would have no shrinkage at all. These guys to aircraft parts already so I think they should be very helpfull. :D

duke
04-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Sorry to dig this thread up, but I'd love to see the result of this :)

Lord Snarebotto
04-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Has anyone here used a company called eMachineShop?

They have an online digital milling service that can make parts, although I'm unsure how large they can make them. I'm pretty sure their proprietary software gives you an estimate in advance, depending upon size and material.

Wade
05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Sorry to dig this thread up, but I'd love to see the result of this :)

Well the project is on hold or other so we many never see the 30' winged horse.

pdrake
05-02-2006, 02:17 PM
didn't davinci have a ***** of a time getting this to work? i think some company finally made his horse. contact them.