PDA

View Full Version : Boy on swing

trygve
02-15-2005, 07:15 AM
Picture taken 1979 :-)

LightWave 8.2, FPrime and a bit of photoshopping.

veljko
02-15-2005, 11:04 AM
cool atmosphere, nice render
:)

trygve
02-15-2005, 11:47 AM

Trygve

Cesar Montero
02-15-2005, 12:53 PM
I like the composition. The modeling is nice! However I believe you need some light work, it is too dull. I still can't sense the texture of the models. Makes it look sad even with a happy boy swinging in it.

trygve
02-15-2005, 01:37 PM

I wanted to make it kind of faded, like an old photo from the 70ties. Maybe not working so well?

I'm using radiosity with FPrime, and one light shining on the boys face (like sun). I will try out other lighting.

sidetrak
02-15-2005, 04:53 PM
very nice, i like it...was there full color photography in the 70's? i know there was, but was it ever the of that quality?...im actually more curious than i am criticising

Cesar Montero
02-15-2005, 05:03 PM

I wanted to make it kind of faded, like an old photo from the 70ties. Maybe not working so well?

I'm using radiosity with FPrime, and one light shining on the boys face (like sun). I will try out other lighting.

I didn't got the 70's comment that fast, as for quality matters. It is dull, if that what you want you are going in the right way.

You want it to look as a picture that can be seen actually on a table, photo-realistic??Or just the image with the quality of an old photo? Or maybe the mood of the 70's? Can you explain a little more about the 70s photo please? Im Interested in this matter :)

trygve
02-15-2005, 05:44 PM
very nice, i like it...was there full color photography in the 70's? i know there was, but was it ever the of that quality?...im actually more curious than i am criticising

Yes, I'm born i 1971, and my parents took lots of photos of us - in color. They had a polariod camera (very hi-tech for the 70's:-) But I remember them as dull in their colors and with marks and dust from the years. Like this pic:

See example picture (http://www.kruegercity.de/images/growup7years.jpg) (found om Google image search).

You want it to look as a picture that can be seen actually on a table, photo-realistic??Or just the image with the quality of an old photo? Or maybe the mood of the 70's?

Not photo-realistic, but the mood - the memories, witch for me at least are as faded as those photo's. But when I think of my childhood in the 70's I get these kind of pictures in my head.

Thanks a lot for your comments! :-)

Trygve

Lightwolf
02-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Hi Trygve,
I like the image, even though it looks a bit like a nightmare of a childhood, but yeah, the grin is very cool. Anyhow, I was born in '71 too, so I guess my childhood was close to that, I can't remember the bird though ;)

Seriously, the reference photo you have is pretty good actually. Have a closer look at what is happening to the colours. The red is still there, everything is a bit yellowish, and there is very little blue. You might also want to try to reduce the contrast a bit.
You could just load both into Photoshop and tweak you render until it fits.

Cheers,
Mike - who loves the concept...

trygve
02-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks Lightwolf, 71 is a good year :-)

Your suggestions are really good. I was afraid of overdoing it, so I think I made it too dull. I looked closer at the ref picture, and are just experimenting. I think the sky is maybe still too dark, but I'll try to fix that.

Tanks a lot for your feedback!

Lightwolf
02-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks Lightwolf, 71 is a good year :-)

Your suggestions are really good. I was afraid of overdoing it, so I think I made it too dull. I looked closer at the ref picture, and are just experimenting. I think the sky is maybe still too dark, but I'll try to fix that.

Tanks a lot for your feedback!
Well, you can always step back if you overdo it. This one is much closer :)
Your whites would probably need to wash out in places. You can also for fun try to only blut the red channel of your image using a gaussian blur to emulate the colour bleed of the polaroid. Loads of fun :)

Cheers,
Mike - off to bed now - and yes, 71 was goooood :D

Cesar Montero
02-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Well, you can always step back if you overdo it. This one is much closer :)
Your whites would probably need to wash out in places. You can also for fun try to only blut the red channel of your image using a gaussian blur to emulate the colour bleed of the polaroid. Loads of fun :)

Cheers,
Mike - off to bed now - and yes, 71 was goooood :D

That is a very good idea :)
This picture is more closer to the goal, keep it going!

Cesar Montero
02-15-2005, 11:40 PM
That is a very good idea :)
This picture is more closer to the goal, keep it going!

Oh, i didn't saw before the reference photo. Saw I saw it moments ago and I did some changes to the image. Here is a jpg, I did it just for fun. i hope you dont mind. :confused:

If you want the psd I have it, it is just that is 2 megabytes, I can email it. Or tell you how I did it if you like the result.

trygve
02-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Thanks cesar, I don't mind, thanks!

I'm not looking TOO much on the reference - I'm not after photoreal og realistic, just to make the impression of an photo from the 70's. I still want to keep it cartoonish and clear. What did you do to the pic?

I've tried to bleed the red a bit by blurring the red channel like LightWolf suggested, and also making the edged more torn.

Cesar Montero
02-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks cesar, I don't mind, thanks!

I'm not looking TOO much on the reference - I'm not after photoreal og realistic, just to make the impression of an photo from the 70's. I still want to keep it cartoonish and clear. What did you do to the pic?

I've tried to bleed the red a bit by blurring the red channel like LightWolf suggested, and also making the edged more torn.

I like your edge:D
I just altered the neutral values at selective color. Then I take a little bit off of the cyan. After that a motion blur layer of the same photo in full vertical to add dust. I'm very much into photoshop, I get excited with this kind of stuff. Pass me your tip for the torn edges please :D

veljko
02-17-2005, 10:47 AM
boy on the swing is going to my "lw images" folder:)

i like it!:)