PDA

View Full Version : TriCaster hardware

JReble
02-15-2005, 07:14 AM
[edited by the moderators to keep on topic for the TriCaster Forum]

While I'm on the subject, what's the construction of the TriCaster? Does it run on a Microsoft OS? Does it contain a VT board or some new peice of hardware? Obviously it's got new software.

pnelson
02-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Due to the fact that TriCaster is sold as an appliance, the "guts" of the TriCaster remain a closely guarded secret. ;->

Aegis
02-20-2005, 02:45 AM
I guess it's a new variant of the VT (VTPro?) card as otherwise you'd have the component out's sticking out the back of it.

Unless NewTek have done a sneaky Linux port of the VT software, it'd have to be running Windows.

The case is a Shuttle box so spec-wise I'd guess it's a 2.5 - 3Ghz Pentium 4 or AMD processor with... I dunno, 512 - 1Gb RAM? Not much room for SCSI in that baby so it may have a SATA hard disk although the 10k ones don't come in 150Gb flavours yet so it's either got 2 Western Digital 74Gb Raptors or it's got a plain, vanilla 7400RPM IDE drive.

Shuttle's are well-specced connectivity-wise so it's probably got Firewire as well as 10/100 networking and on-board 6.1 sound to boot.

Graphics-wise it's probably going to have a GeForce 4 MX or a GeForce FX 5200 as they're both fast enough for VT[3/4] and they've got heatsinks rather than fans (it should be pretty quiet with the only noisy component being the hard disk).

Hmm... makes me wanna put my VT[3] in my wife's Shuttle PC just to see how it runs :D

Paul Lara
02-21-2005, 05:42 PM
I guess it's a new variant of the VTPro card

Some pretty reasonable deductive logic!
:D

Wade
02-27-2005, 11:00 AM
I guess it's a new variant of the VT (VTPro?) card as otherwise you'd have the component out's sticking out the back of it.

Unless NewTek have done a sneaky Linux port of the VT software, it'd have to be running Windows.

The case is a Shuttle box so spec-wise I'd guess it's a 2.5 - 3Ghz Pentium 4 or AMD processor with... I dunno, 512 - 1Gb RAM? Not much room for SCSI in that baby so it may have a SATA hard disk although the 10k ones don't come in 150Gb flavours yet so it's either got 2 Western Digital 74Gb Raptors or it's got a plain, vanilla 7400RPM IDE drive.

Shuttle's are well-specced connectivity-wise so it's probably got Firewire as well as 10/100 networking and on-board 6.1 sound to boot.

Graphics-wise it's probably going to have a GeForce 4 MX or a GeForce FX 5200 as they're both fast enough for VT[3/4] and they've got heatsinks rather than fans (it should be pretty quiet with the only noisy component being the hard disk).

Hmm... makes me wanna put my VT[3] in my wife's Shuttle PC just to see how it runs :D

The suttle boxs are quite nice the ones I have all have 10/100/1000 networking and SATA for drives and can take 2 gigs ram.... and barly make any noise and rock solid... a great base for any product to be built on. Not sure what NT is useing but again the suttles I have all a year plus old now are rock solid nice little render farm. They do keep me warm in the winter.:) :)

Randall Chesbro
02-28-2005, 02:17 PM
my guess is that its Software only and running DV maybe some out put board.

pnelson
02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
It's Software, Hardware and little super secret sauce!!

servant
07-28-2005, 05:53 PM
the tricaster has a 150 gb hard disk and it runs on xp pro

i think its 512mb ram but it might be 1gb and it is a pentium 4, 3.something

and yes it does have firewire and many other things you would find on most

computers

it is basicly a shuttle on steroids

i know this cos i tested one out and it starts up with all the specs

i will own one soon so i can tell you more within a week

ps: our team is the first church in australia to get one how good is that

pnelson
07-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Servant,

Congrats on getting in early! After you get your TriCaster, drop me an email. I would love to get some feedback from you!!

Welcome to the family!

See Ya,

DonN
07-30-2005, 01:25 PM
I own a Tricaster and its not all that superdouble-deep secret as Phil and Paul would have you believe, except the sauce part.

It's a Shuttle box (shoebox size PC), go look at the NewTek website,
comes with kybd + mouse. With custom front and back panels.
Color Black :confused:
Video output IS in color however! ;)

Poking around in the Admin mode, mine is,

Running WindowsXPPro. sp2
1 GB memory
1 HD 120 GB, C: and D: partitions. ST3160827AS
Intel P4 3.2GH
nvidea GForce FX5700LE
VIA OHCI 1394 host controller
VT4 card. deduced from view from the back and performance
internal BOB of some sort for IO of AV
no floppy, or cd/DVD,

2 cd's, are provided. Product Recovery CD-ROM (Shuttle, Inc.)
Tricaster iVGA utility disk.
no OS or Tricaster Program software.

On first boot, you must do the M$ install rigourmaroll.
Call or surf to M$ for the permanent OS install code,
Set your network ID etc...

Boot goes directly to Tricaster... no Windows desktop.
This is an appliance, as was stated.
Exit Tricaster to get to various administrator functions... NewTek hold your hand all the way!

No screwdrivers allowed! However, so exactly what is inside the box is NewTek's secret still.
If you do crack it open you have 5 sec to throw it out the window and live.
It appears that Novices can get screwed still, with bad mousing in system, networking areas, etc.
Plus, when networked, the Internet is wide open, for incoming hackers... should they find you. There is even a button for getting periodic updates from Newtek, but so far there are none...

NewTek cautions, - NO - 3rd party software on this machine.

A very cool box nonetheless. I'm impressed. :D

Don

DonN
07-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Correction to the Tricaster spec.

the harddisk is,

Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB Hard Drive
(Serial ATA-100, 7,200 RPM, 8MB

and is partitioned into C: ( 25 GB Local disk, with the System stuff on it,
and a D: (123 GB, Video, Media)

These drives are around US$ 60 - 70 in OEM lots...

Seems to me you'd want to immediately mirror this baby onto another identical one and keep it on the shelf.

:help:
3rd party apps to provide the basic computer protections ought to be possible, if only NewTek could recommend a suitable package, I'd be very appreciative.
Firewall, anti-virus, backup,
Don

JReble
07-31-2005, 07:21 AM
The biggest question is when, when, when will the internal break-out-box be available for the regular VT board? If the thing can plug into a regular vt3 or vt4 board, it's nuts not to make it available for purchase asap.

David Curle
08-17-2005, 02:34 AM
my guess is that its Software only and running DV maybe some out put board.
Essentially Video Toaster is software only also!

Paul Lara
08-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Seems to me you'd want to immediately mirror this baby onto another identical one and keep it on the shelf. [\quote]

NewTek is exploring options to make this easy for TriCaster owners.

[quote]if only NewTek could recommend a suitable package, I'd be very appreciative. Firewall, anti-virus, backup...

Be warned that any anti-virus package is going to adversely affect TriCaster performance! :eek:

pnelson
08-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Essentially Video Toaster is software only also!

Actually both products are Software/Hardware..

:) :thumbsup: