PDA

View Full Version : LW Landscape

arnoldawson
02-15-2005, 02:26 AM
I've been experimenting with landscapes, and think I might be starting to get somewhere close to the style I'm after.
Everything is modelled, no backdrops except the sky which was painted in Photoshop and put on a skydome.
I wouldn't really regard it as finished but I can't get any more polys into it without LW crashing.

http://www.illustrations.freeserve.co.uk/citza/windscape_area.jpg

starbase1
02-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Nice.

I think the flat grass near the fence looks a bit too flat, if you don't want to add proper grass maybe some bump wouyld help break it up.

I really dislike that brach in the tree though - it looks exactly like two overlapping cylinders, nothing like a real tree trunk.

Nick

arnoldawson
02-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Yes Starbase. I think that tree should be turned around so you can't see where the branch joins.

adrian
02-16-2005, 02:13 AM
How did you paint those clouds in Photoshop? They look really good.

Adrian.

arnoldawson
02-16-2005, 03:23 AM
First I found good pictures of clouds for reference.
Open a new doc in PS at 9600X2400.
Fill first layer with blue and make a new layer above it.
Then, paint the outline of a cloud. with a 17px brush.
Fill in with larger brushes painting some of the larger details.
Used 17px brush to blend the outline to the fill.
On a new layer, start painting the medium details, blurring where necessary.
On another new layer shade the finer details with small brushes 5 to 12px range.
Sharpen the cloud edges where necessary with eraser brush size as above.
Paint whispy bits around some of the cloud edges.
When satisfied merge cloud layers and start the next cloud.
You can Flip- horizontal/squash/rotate etc. the cloud to make new ones especially the ones near the horizon. I would suggest that you have at least three originals though.

For most uses in LW you'll want to drop the size down by half, but it's handy to have a high res version.

http://www.illustrations.freeserve.co.uk/citza/cloudy_sky_1.jpg

cathuria
02-16-2005, 08:28 AM
I think the vegetation & sky look great, but the ground surface is a little video-gamey. Perhaps it needs some fine texturing on the bump channel -- and it looks as if you're using image maps that are stretched a bit too far. Of course, a little fudging in Photoshop never hurts either... :)

arnoldawson
02-16-2005, 10:08 AM
-- and it looks as if you're using image maps that are stretched a bit too far.

Oh darn. I thought I'd got away with it. Well spotted. ;)