PDA

View Full Version : bump map & mesh geometry

fabmedia
02-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Okay, I want to alter the geometry of my object with a displacement map through UVs and specific surfaces, but it screws up the whole object. Am I screwed or can this be done without any problems. I don't seem to have much success with the bump map version either. Also, it doesn't help how high my geometry is either.

spec24
02-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Just did this myself. Keep in mind that a displacement map doesn't work like a bump map - where white is "high" and black is "low". Black on a displacement map means the object will not be affected in that area. So the parts of your model you don't want displaced keep the map black. Also - if your model shares UV maps (like for both sides of character), then use normal mapping rather than displacement. Also, adjust your opacity or texture value in the displacement map value to get subtle changes instead of wacky crazy stuff. :)

fabmedia
02-14-2005, 11:14 AM
How high of a resolution do you need to do this? I have a face that I want to add some wrinkles to and such, and lines for hair streaks, or is this just the wrong way of going about it?

spec24
02-14-2005, 12:52 PM
hmmm - I would think you're gonna have to go pretty hi on your subdivision settings. Not sure what you mean by "lines for hair streaks" - you mean actual "hair" made out of diplacement mapping? I guess it's doable - but more like locks of hair. Tiny wrinkles may be tough. I just used this technique on my character for bumps on his head and back, and some ribs.