PDA

View Full Version : Import/Export Headaches

Marcia
02-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi all,

I've searched the forums and manual without finding an answer to this, so hopefully one of you will know what to do.

I'm exporting a lw file from 7.5d to .3ds, which seems to work okay on the export end (fewer than 65k polys, triangulated, 8-character texture names, saving to specific file where textures are located, yada), but when I try to read the file back into layout as a .3ds, for some reason the model is losing some of its surface properties (e.g., diffuse, reflection, smoothing), resetting them to default. The UVs (there are 4) are correctly placed, and some of the surface property settings (e.g., specularity, glossiness) are also correct.

Does anyone know 1) whether this happens when importing the .3ds file into another program; and/or 2) whether there's any way to fix the problem; and/or 3) whether there's a plug-in/third-party/commercial utility that does a better job keeping things intact?

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, on the Mac. Thx.

Silkrooster
02-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Hmmm. I haven't used 3ds much or atleast on lightwave. Dstorm does have a 3ds export pluging, I don't know if it available for Mac, but you can check it out. Assuming thier web site is now back up and running.
Silk

Marcia
02-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Good idea; the DStorm plug-ins are excellent. Sadly, .3ds Exporter is only available for Windows. :(

On the plus side, the English version of the site is back online. Here's the web address for anyone who needs it:

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/index.htm

Any other ideas?

Marcia
02-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Newtek? Anyone? :confused:

toby
02-15-2005, 10:49 PM
The surface properties of the 2 formats may be completely different - whenever I load 3ds files, they always have like 5.632148% luminosity. The only successful cross-platform surface transfers I've heard of is C4D loading Lightwave files, and that's because they put a lot of effort into paving the way for LW users to their software. For Newtek and Discreet there's probably no reason to go to that effort.

What you can do is make a preset of the surface and re-apply it your object when you bring the 3ds file back in... but I'm curious as to why you'd want to re-import them - ?

Mylenium
02-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi all,

I've searched the forums and manual without finding an answer to this, so hopefully one of you will know what to do.

I'm exporting a lw file from 7.5d to .3ds, which seems to work okay on the export end (fewer than 65k polys, triangulated, 8-character texture names, saving to specific file where textures are located, yada), but when I try to read the file back into layout as a .3ds, for some reason the model is losing some of its surface properties (e.g., diffuse, reflection, smoothing), resetting them to default. The UVs (there are 4) are correctly placed, and some of the surface property settings (e.g., specularity, glossiness) are also correct.

Does anyone know 1) whether this happens when importing the .3ds file into another program; and/or 2) whether there's any way to fix the problem; and/or 3) whether there's a plug-in/third-party/commercial utility that does a better job keeping things intact?

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, on the Mac. Thx.

Apart from the fact that this sounds like a rather strange workflow in the first place, there is no really good way other than to load your object in Modeler and convert it back into a proper LWO. As toby already said, surface properties are stored differently in both formats (that luminosity thing e.g. has to do with how ambient/ diffuse light is handled in a 3DS file). Your question about a 3rd party tool is understandable, but in this case you're out of luck for reasons already mentioned. Your surfaces might not look screwed as much as with LW's 3ds importer, but they still would come nowhere near the original. And yes, the best converters are available on PC only. *g*

Mylenium

Marcia
02-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks for your reply, guys. :)

LOL. The conversion and reimportation is not part of my standard workflow; I was testing the .3ds file to see if the conversion had caused any problems someone else might encounter opening it in a different program. I guess opening the file in a different program *might* have been a better test, but I don't own Max, Maya or C4D. :o

I did create presets of the textures. Does anyone know if the preset data gets exported with the .3ds so that they can be used/reapplied in a different program?