PDA

View Full Version : wind problem

czesiu
02-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi Folks,

I have a problem with Wind Mode > Cylinder-Explosion.

1. When the Wind source is directed along the particle particle motion path, the wind act well spreading the particle 360 degrees around the wind source as on image (Wind1.jpg)

When the Wind source is rotated for example 90 degrees from the particle motion path the then wind acts strange spreading the particle in flat pattern as on image
(Wind2.jpg)

In the real world when you have for example water hose with a strain at its end, water runing from the strain remains circle shaped no matter if you point the strain verticaly, horisontaly or in any other direction for that matter.

Does anybody know whay Wind > Cylinder-Explosion act so strange and and how to get it work properly.

I am totaly confused.

Cheers
czesiu :confused:

toby
02-13-2005, 06:48 PM
In the first example, the wind is in the center of the flow and pushes it all outward. In the second, the wind is pushing on one side of the flow, flattening it.

The only thing I can think of off-hand is to animate the wind object where you want the particles to go and set the wind FX parameter to 'path'.

Particles are pretty hard to work with ~

czesiu
02-14-2005, 02:36 AM
Hi toby,

Thanks for your reply.
Actualy the wind FX center is in both examples at the center axis of the particle stream.

I did not moved the the Wind FX from the spot, therefore all particles in both examples passes the Wind Center as well.

It seem that there is something that guys at NewTek did not take in calculation when they created the Wind/Gravity/Collision effects.

I have actualy checked how the other FX act and all of them acts the same way.
All these FX makes the particle stream flatten as soon as the stream has been bend by the FX.

But in real world, when you take a water hose and point it say 45 degrees upwords the water stream will not be flatt because of that, right?

I will send that issue to NewTek guys and ask them if they can change it.

You now, I need to create particles moving inside the vacuum cleaner pipe, and the particle inside there does not move as a flatt stream but the round one as the pipes shape.

Cheers
czesiu :(

toby
02-14-2005, 02:49 PM
As the particles travel into the wind, they being pushed to one side, off the centerline, then they all get blown in the same direction. The particles closer to the center get more force, so the stream gets flattened out.

Your 2 examples, the water hose and vacuum are different than wind. One is gravity and the other is collision - and actually the flow will change shape in those examples too, if there's less pressure.

If you try the wind animation I suggested, the wind's force will stay at the center of the stream no matter where it turns - thought this might not work with 'explosion', maybe you need to just put the explosion at the end of the animation or the 'pipe'

czesiu
02-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Yes I was thinking to put the explosion Cylinder-Explosion or Explosion will see.

But you have to admit that some force FX that could better emulate vacuum cleaner would be in place in uture upgrades, wouldn't it?

It could possibly be the FX called Suction just as its purpose, would be.

Thanks for your tips.

Cheers
czesiu :confused: