PDA

View Full Version : Renaming utility for Layout

Wiggz
02-13-2005, 06:29 AM
The ability to be able to rename multiple items in Layout.

A recent problem I encountered involved converting a Max scene to Lightwave.
Converting the scene into Lightwave was fairly straightforward however renaming the various items was not.

The scene had over 2000+ lights,and over 100+ objects all of which needed to be renamed as to make sense of what was occuring in the scene.

I need the ability to select multiple items (say 1000+ lights) and then be able to fully change all their names to a specified name,Add suffixes,add prefixes,add numbering and find and replace words.

In a nutshell...I want Blurscripts renaming utility for 3DSmax and I want something similar (or better) for Lightwave Layout.

Thanx,

Wiggz

Dodgy
02-13-2005, 06:38 AM
Look in the old spreadsheet. Not the new scene editor as this hasn't been implemented yet, but the old spreadsheet.

Wiggz
02-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanx for that,I'll try and give that a go.I'm using 7.5d so where is the "old spreadsheet" to be found?

Worms artist eh?Based in Leeds eh?Small world.Say hello to Colin Surridge for me. =)

evenflcw
02-13-2005, 07:56 AM
I don't know how Blurs renaming utility for 3dsmax works, but I must admit that I too (and I'm sure alot of others) think the options available for renaming in LW are oughly poor. We have only two commands for renaming, Rename Item and Rename Hierarchy (in LW8), the first of which works only for single items and the last of which only works for bones.

What I'd like to see is ONE command that is able to work on single aswell as multiple items of ANY type. Also, I'm not a fan of functions that only require you to select the top parent to edit a whole hierarchy. I'd rather just select the specific items I had in mind. I find that much more intuitive, powerful, and alot less restrictive and messy.

In 7.5, the Spreadsheet should not be legacy yet and always visible in the menus. If you can't find it in the menus, it should atleast be found among the Master Plugins (look for a button with that name). If it's not there you you scan your plugin directly to make sure it's installed.

Wiggz
02-13-2005, 08:34 AM
The Blurscripts plugin works like this:-

Select the items you want renaming

Run the script which brings up a dialog box

Has the following options.

Full rename
add prefix
add suffix

Find and replace ( which when clicked brings up a menu for choosing the find and replace words/naming )

Text to use box ( enter what name you want to use for full/prefix/suffix/

Append number

Start field
Step field

Its very usefull and you can basically do all the above without exiting the plugin once you know what you're doing.

Heres an example which could be done quicker but you'll get the idea of how you can manipulate everything as you go without exiting the plugin too many times)

For instance I have a 100 lights called "whatever" and they are all related to a building object in a scene file called newyork city and all of them are coloured yellow apart from 10 which are red.

I select the 100 lights and run the plugin

In the text to use box I type "Building" and click the full rename button.
In the text box I enter NYC_ and click the add prefix button
In the text box I enter_yel and click the add suffix button.
Last of all I use the append number button

I exit the plugin

All my lights are now named NYC_building_yel_01 etc

I select the 10 red lights run the plugin and use the find and replace menu to find yel and replace with red.

I can redo the numbering if necessary.

All done.very handy.

Dodgy
02-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I will :) You know satan himself do you? LOL

You can do most of these things in the Spread sheet if you can find it :)

faulknermano
02-13-2005, 10:02 PM
wiggz, did you ever get the second script i sent you?