PDA

View Full Version : displacement mapping and UV's

spec24
02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I have a symmetrical character and both sides share a single UV - the character and the UV were mirrored. Now, of course, when I use a displacement map mapped onto this UV and on an axis perpendicular to the surface the displacement is out on one side and in on the other. This is expected - but how can I remedy this. Is there an easy way???

Dodgy
02-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Use normal displacement, which uses the normal of the surface as the direction of the displacement, or you could use Normal Displacement, but using a Morph, in which both sides are stretched outwards...

OR you could use two displacement maps, one for each side and use a mask to mask one out on one side, and the inverse mask to mask it out on the other...

spec24
02-13-2005, 07:36 AM
thanks Dodgy. It takes an awfully long time for the Normal Displacement plugin to start. I thought LW had crashed.

spec24
02-13-2005, 07:38 AM
OR you could use two displacement maps, one for each side and use a mask to mask one out on one side, and the inverse mask to mask it out on the other...[/QUOTE]

But how would I do this when both sides share the same UV map?

Lynx3d
02-13-2005, 11:41 AM
thanks Dodgy. It takes an awfully long time for the Normal Displacement plugin to start. I thought LW had crashed.

One reason why i wrote this one:
http://lynx.aspect-design.de/plugins/normal_displace_info.htm

At least i hope it is much quicker and a bit smarter with caching. I also had artifacts with LWs normal displacement, and i never found out why, some models worked, some didn't.

Dodgy
02-13-2005, 05:55 PM
I had this, with both yours and the standard LW one. Very odd. Great plugin BTW I love it.

Dodgy
02-13-2005, 06:01 PM
OR you could use two displacement maps, one for each side and use a mask to mask one out on one side, and the inverse mask to mask it out on the other...

But how would I do this when both sides share the same UV map?[/QUOTE]

Good point!
I would suggest using the moph map method then :)
LW's standard displacement is awful slow on normals, but on morphs it's very quick.

spec24
02-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Hmm - I guess I'm not sure what you mean by use it on a morph. You mean on a seperate morph object apply the normal map? - and then morph the original to the new one?

Dodgy
02-14-2005, 04:13 PM
You can do a smooth shift on the object to create an endomorph, (or modify it anyway you want to) and then use this in the Normal Displacement plugin, when this plugin is set to Morph. You can then use your texture to apply this morph in specific areas...