PDA

View Full Version : problems making a simple displasement texture

ArtGoblin
02-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Hello. I've stumbled upon a problem during an experiment that I thought was going to be a "walk in the park". I consider myself to be on that gray zone between an amatour and an intermediet LW user... well maybe not even that good, but I've got some common sense of the interface I think :o

Anyways, I'm doing this little scene were a charakter stomps his foot into the ground and releases a shockwave effect on the ground. The Camera is placed near to ground level infront of the stomping foot. I decided I couldn't wait for me to finish my character so I just decided to test the concept and see if I could make it happen in theory.
I have a ground plate that is multiplied about 6 or 7 times. And a very simple object that I've animated to hit the ground at frame 15. Then I started working on the texturedisplacement for the ground plate. I was trying to use the ripples procedurals, with one wave source and using a null for "reference object" (to controll the movement of the waves). I've been tweaking and turning my head upside down a couple of times and still I just can't seem to get it right. I also have a problem trying to specify where the waves originate from (should be right where the foot stops).

Well.... I hope you have a good laugh out of this one..... :) but it would be really great if somebody could tell me how to do this trick.

toonafish
02-13-2005, 09:49 AM
make sure you set the displacement texture to World Coordinates and the XYZ position to zero. This way the center of the texture will be exactly at the pivot of the ref object.

besides that you wanna use Mattias Wein's Normal Displacement plugin ( it free ) http://lynx.aspect-design.de/plugins/normal_displace_info.htm This one is much faster and relyable then the one you get with Lightwave.

ArtGoblin
02-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks a lot! That's one hellofan plugin :D I had figured some things out before I read your replie, but it's a lot more effective to use this plugin instead of the normal displasement plugin already intergrated into LW.

Right now I have of course stumbled upon another bump in the road.
I'm trying to controll the wave-texture with gradients so that I can controll the hight of the waves actacly where I want them. That's a slow but succecfull learning progress. But the thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make just one or two waves, instead of a constant wavy ground. And also.... how to make the first wave start and then let the others come afterwards, instead of just turning the waves on or of.

I thought I could control all this with just a gradient, but I can't animate any of the parameters on the gradient ecept the layer opacity.