PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle: New Beetle

Methanoid
02-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Hi one and all,

I thought it was high time I posted something on here, so here we go - a VW New Beetle.

HDR illumination, no other lights and a bit of post jiggery-pokery in Photoshop for good measure. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

Let me know what you guys think :) .

dxyner
02-10-2005, 06:34 AM
I think the model looks very good. I think the wires for the defrost in the back window are a bit too strong. And most importantly I think you really need a different background. The color combination of the background to the bright yellow car honestly made me a bit queasy...Nice car though.

Dxyner

etobiason
02-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Really nice! Wish I could drive away in it. I agree that the defrost lines in the rear window are a bit aliased, but I'm sure your radisosity render took forever without cranking the AA up to Extreme...

Methanoid
02-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the comments. I've got to agree about the aliasing issues, the image was rendered with
anti-aliasing set to PLD-17 pass using the Lanczos reconstruction filter. I might try redoing it using the classic settings.

dxyner - Sorry it you feel a bit queasy, the car is a bit vivid against the background, I'll try toning it down a bit. :D

etobiason - the render time was about 4 - 5 hours, so I could have cranked the anti-aliasing up a bit more.
I think these new anti-aliasing options need to be set quite high to get the full benefit from them.

Looks like a re-render is on the cards, will post it when its done.

etobiason
02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
I liked the vivid color.

Methanoid
02-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Updated Version

Fixed the anti-aliasing issues and tweaked the colours slightly.

art
02-11-2005, 07:39 AM
The new toned colors are alright, but I liked the original colors somewhat more. It had this magazine print quality to it.. or something.

I'm mildly color-blind (failing most of the colored-dots test), so what can i say..

etobiason
02-11-2005, 08:08 AM
I agree, the vivid colors were great. I wouldn't get in the habit of toning down your art based on a single comment... the new image seems bland.

But the higher antialiasing did the trick with that back window! Nice. You can always tweak the colors in Photoshop to get it how you like it. Don't even listen to my comments!! :)

dxyner
02-11-2005, 09:01 AM
It wasn't about how vivid the colors were in the first image, it was the color choice for the background. I do like the more vivid yellow on the car, it looks more real. It was just the background colors seemed to clash just so with the yellow. All in all It's still great.

Dxyner

doncha_magoso
02-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Cool!!

Looks very nice indeed... and I like the first render too...

Btw... can you post the way you set up this scene?

I'm interested in getting that kind of scene for another car I'm modelling...

Imatk
02-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Looks nice :) ... and yellow is a tough color to get without it looking bad.

Only thing... there is a weird sort of hump in the middle of your roof there... not sure what it is, but I would pull those points down...it would be easier to see with a wire frame.

All in all great job man.

Lewis
02-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Model looks excelent. I'd like to see more renders (different angles) before final comments :).

Lamont
02-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Nice model, and nice render. But just a couple of crits: The overall shape is off, does not have the rounded look of the Beetle, seems like it was squashed. It could be your pixel settings.

And is that a body kit on the front bumper?