PDA

View Full Version : Sketchy line tech inspired by SpinQuad...

wacom
02-09-2005, 09:28 PM
I was inspired by what I saw on SpinQuad to give a go to a "style" I've wanted to do for a while. By combin'n a few of everyone's techniques with my own I'm getting closer. I'm fairly certain I'll be able to get it to animate soon. I've included the files that produced the block image. It was made in 8.2 with PLD, but you could use 7-8 for it.

There are two copies of a model. One is frozen and scaled up a bit and then all of the polys are tripled. I then run jitter on the frozen object (just a little bit) and then make a morph that has negative jitter values of the base object. Next I give the jittered object a seperate surface.

In Layout I take the jittered object and turn its surface transparency all the way up, and in the object panel under render I enable edges. LW will now render the edges, but not the object. Lastly I change to fractional frames, and open the "sketch" objects morph mix panel. At zero I set it to -100 and at frame .10 or so I set it to 100. In the graph editor select each key frame and set them to oscilate (sp?). Now in the camera properties panel turn on motion blur dittered and set PLD to 3 and use the mitchel soft filter.

The number of PLD passes, and motion blur length can change the look of the line A LOT. You can almost get a semi pencil shade if you play around with it a bit. Anyway...this was my first attempt...and it seems to work fairly well...I'm going to keep tweaking it out...

PS- the head one was my first try at it...I change a few things for the block version and it seemed to work better (mainly how I did the jitter).

For now here is a little demo file:

evenflcw
02-10-2005, 02:27 AM
VERY nice results. That block looks just like a lead pencil drawing.

Ztreem
02-10-2005, 05:06 AM
Nice! the cube looks great. I'm looking forward to some more examples. :cool:

lillmagnus
02-10-2005, 05:19 AM
I used a variation of this technique for an animated short i made a couple of months ago.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=31079

riki
02-10-2005, 07:32 AM
That's a great idea, I like the results.

Titus
02-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Beatiful technique, thanks for sharing.

Titus
02-10-2005, 10:05 AM
A quick render using this technique:

wacom
02-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Ok so the combo method works even better, is faster, easier to animate, and gives you 10X the flexablity! I'm playing with adding a small bit of celshader with high contrast and the diffuse turned up to get a few extra "smudgy lines"- who knows where this will go... To say I'm one happy camper is to put it lightly!

ColinCohen's method, combined with the one I was using before (sans the jitter morph object) gets even better line draw images! I'll post a demo scene tonight after I'm back from work- here are some images. Displacement makes way more sense...

This way is SOOO flexable...

monovich
02-10-2005, 01:16 PM
wow, this is really cool stuff, guys. I'm downloading the scene to take a look. thanks for sharing. :)

lillmagnus
02-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Here are some otehr tests i have made. I'm using a transparent outer "skin" object with just outline active, and in the cleaner ones, an outer black flipped skin, without any outline active.

CB_3D
02-11-2005, 04:57 AM
Very very cool!! This could look fantastic animated at 12 frames per second!

ravantra
02-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Wow you guys are amazing....I am always in awe of all the ad hoc methods to produce art that this community comes up with..... I need to find a project to try this out!

wacom
02-11-2005, 10:16 AM
OK...a few new-er ones here. I'll post scene files for each one soon...sorry. I'm fairly certain that tripling the polygons and freezing the object gives slightly better lines. There are about seven or more variables to consider:

Line width
Displacement procedural noise size and its corolation to your mesh density
Displacement size
Line width
Gradients
Super Cell Shader
Luminosity
Diffuse
Motion Blur level (must be ditthered)
Number of PLD passes
and even DOF for certain effects!

These sound like a lot...but really it renders so quickly...and the setting are a bit more predictable than it would seem if you know what you're going for.

Here are my latest examples:

wacom
02-11-2005, 10:20 AM
And a few more...

wacom
02-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Ok...this is the last...for now...really...

The funny thing about these techniques is that the closer you get to their real life counterparts the more they are only good for certain things- just like the real ones!

It's really hard to get small details in large block charcole or sumi brush ink for example...

wacom
02-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Started a new thread here with more downloadable examples:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=33682&highlight=pencil

StevieB
08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
WOW WACOM YOUR AWESOME! Sweet renders man - with all those techniques saved up you'll never run out of cool ways to render things. Great job man!

-FP-
08-22-2007, 01:43 PM
You can get very similar effects with the free JOT (http://jot.cs.princeton.edu/), which can be used with Lightwave. It's very powerful. It allows for the thickness and irregularity of a model's outline to appropriately change with rotation and distance. The user has complete control over the characteristics of the line.

DEMO VIDEO 1 (http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/pubs/Kalnins_2002_WND/wnpr_aud_uncmp3.avi)

DEMO VIDEO 2 (http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/pubs/Kalnins_2003_CSS/kalnins2003css-divx.avi)

beverins
05-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Is there any way to download JOT, because when I try it says "that doesn't look like a valid email address". I imagine he's limited it to Princeton addresses or the server's broken.

Jim M
05-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Nice job Wacom.

dballesg
05-21-2008, 03:33 AM
Is there any way to download JOT, because when I try it says "that doesn't look like a valid email address". I imagine he's limited it to Princeton addresses or the server's broken.

hi,

I am having the same problem. I really would like to try that program! :(

David