PDA

View Full Version : Adding flexible "webbing" between moving parts?

Turner
02-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi -

I'm trying to model a device in which there are moving parts connected by "webbing" - you can see a quick illustration here:

http://www.turnerdesign.net/webbing/webbing.jpg

I need to add this webbing where the transparent red overlay is; the arrows indicate the movement of the panels...

The really tricky part is that I need to overlay a texture (on the whole thing) which makes the assembly essentially look seamless, kind of like ridges in a basketball.

Any advice appreciated!

thx
Andrew

prospector
02-09-2005, 04:00 PM
kinda easy

2 ways to acomplish it

I surmise the arrows mean the flaps go up, and not circular?

If they do

Way 1
just model a poly there and give it a different surface, it will 'stretch' as the flaps are bent.
the UV makes no difference to the surface it is applied so you will be able to give it the same texture (UVd that is) as rest of object.
just UV in a planer direction and in UV window make sure the bevels are NOT underneath any other part (or texture stretching will occure) leave the joint polys there as they will be UVd too.
Just apply UV texture in layout and it will go across the seam seamlessly.
Now why I said give it a different surface name is because......and ya didn't have too but....say ya want the same texture as rest but in a different shade? or slightly transparent? or slightly shinier? with a different surface it's possable (in surface panel) and won't touch the other colors :)
Just a plan ahead tip there. to be used if needed on other objects in your future.

Way 2

Same as above in all respects EXCEPT split the seam polys with band saw pro
and add a small chain of bones parented in layout to each flap,
this will give you much more control but be slower to do animation. (moving bones and such)

Turner
02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks prospector!

I should mention (and should have illustrated more clearly) that the webbing is curved... I've re-uploaded the illustration. Sorry about that!

But yes, the flaps do indeed go up.

Also, on a related note - and this is because I'm not yet familiar with LW's bones/whatever capabilities - is it possible to rig this thing so that (when the "petals" are attached to all six sides of the center hex) I can "push down" on the top and have the petals expand (without deforming, but with the webbing bending to conform), as if it's a big suction cup?

thx again
Andrew

kinda easy

2 ways to acomplish it

I surmise the arrows mean the flaps go up, and not circular?

If they do

Way 1
just model a poly there and give it a different surface, it will 'stretch' as the flaps are bent.
the UV makes no difference to the surface it is applied so you will be able to give it the same texture (UVd that is) as rest of object.
just UV in a planer direction and in UV window make sure the bevels are NOT underneath any other part (or texture stretching will occure) leave the joint polys there as they will be UVd too.
Just apply UV texture in layout and it will go across the seam seamlessly.
Now why I said give it a different surface name is because......and ya didn't have too but....say ya want the same texture as rest but in a different shade? or slightly transparent? or slightly shinier? with a different surface it's possable (in surface panel) and won't touch the other colors :)
Just a plan ahead tip there. to be used if needed on other objects in your future.

Way 2

Same as above in all respects EXCEPT split the seam polys with band saw pro
and add a small chain of bones parented in layout to each flap,
this will give you much more control but be slower to do animation. (moving bones and such)

prospector
02-09-2005, 07:57 PM
tried to fool me hu? :rolleyes:

that's why I gave the bone example
the points from the bandsaw tool can be pulled down to create the curve :D

Can't think of a direct way other than bones with a 100% weight on each petal for each bone, and controlled by a set of nulls (1 for each bone which is inturn driven by 1 main null).

Turner
02-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks so much for your help -

Looks like I have some learnin' to do!

Andrew

tried to fool me hu? :rolleyes:

that's why I gave the bone example
the points from the bandsaw tool can be pulled down to create the curve :D

Can't think of a direct way other than bones with a 100% weight on each petal for each bone, and controlled by a set of nulls (1 for each bone which is inturn driven by 1 main null).