PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Parenting using Parenter

WilliamVaughan
02-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Dynamic Parenting using Parenter

Ever want to change a child's parent during an animation....well here is a quick example!

Parenter Demo (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/p2_web.mov)

Axis3d
02-10-2005, 10:17 AM
I've tried using Parenter but ran into a snag. I'm trying to animate a character tossing a ball from one hand to the other. This is the process I'm using:

1. The ball is parented to a null in the first hand from frame 0-7.
2. The ball is parented to a null that is not part of the character (just sitting in the scene with no keyframes), called World from frame 8-19.
3. The ball is parented to a null in the second hand from frame 20-40.

The problem is that the keyframes that I make for the ball after it leaves the first hand (as it moves through the air) don't take. The ball just sits in place at frame 8, then snaps to its new position in the second hand at frame 20.

I thought I'd create this World null so that the ball could have motions that were not parented to the character at all. Any thoughts?

WilliamVaughan
02-10-2005, 10:44 AM
can you post the scene....I will look at it.

Axis3d
02-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Here is the test scene file. It seems pretty straightforward, but maybe I'm just missing something.

WilliamVaughan
02-10-2005, 01:12 PM
quick fix:

I swapped out your parent to the WORLD for an unparent (see in parenter) and then I changed your incoming curves from "stepped" to TCB

hope this helps.

lumi
02-10-2005, 02:28 PM
I've tried to use Parenter to change a pivot position and after a few tests I gave up.
In your example, Proton, what happens if instead of having all pivots at 0,0,0 they have centered pivots and instead of parenting the ball, wich is also at ,0,0,0
you parent one of the cubes ?
For me, it behaves as if the "Keep position " is broken and the cube will jump to 0,0,0, !

Axis3d
02-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Proton,

That does help. I'll still experiment with it to try and get a smooth transition to the 'world' null. Years ago, I used the Parent plugin that came with the Polk set. It had an option to parent to the World, which worked great. Perhaps Newtek could work in this ability.

blabberlicious
02-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Don't forget that any changes you make to keyframes via the dopesheet don't automatically get passed to the plugin.

So make sure you 're target' if you alter timings.