PDA

View Full Version : Converting LW 7.5 file to 6.0

Marcia
02-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Searched the forums and manual, but can't seem to find a solution to this problem: I need to be able to convert LW 7.5 files to v. 6.0. According to the manual, 7.5 only exports to 5.6, which means UV Maps are not supported, which they need to be.

Does anyone know of a file conversion utility (bearing in mind that I can't afford the upgrade to 8.2 this month) that would do a good job with this? So far, the best solution I've researched seems to be Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration, but I was hoping to get advice from someone who's familiar with the situation before spending any money or investing in something that mangles high-poly models.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

BeeVee
02-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Why do you need to convert to a version 6 file? The file format for objects hasn't changed much since 6 so an 8 object is largely the same as a 6.5 object as a 7.5c object. The reason for conversion to 5.6 is for older programs that don't support multi-layered object files with all the bells and whistles that were introduced in 6.

B

Marcia
02-09-2005, 08:27 AM
I was under the impression that LW wasn't backward compatible (or is this wrong?). I need to be able to provide files to people with older versions of LW (6.0, 6.5), but also need to make sure the UV data goes with it. If I save a 7.5 object file as usual, just as a .lwo, can someone running LW 6.0+ open it? That would be great; otherwise, I need a way to convert to the older version.

I have to be able to specifically provide a LW file, as opposed to .kbx or .3ds.

BeeVee
02-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Yes they can. No problem. The only difficulty comes when they have a version of LightWave pre-6. Then you have to use the converter, otherwise any object files will work in any version of the software (anything that a previous release doesn't understand will simply be ignored, it won't cause a problem).

B

Marcia
02-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Fantastic! You just saved me $150 and a big headache. Thanks, BeeVee! :D