PDA

View Full Version : buying new g5

Tony3d
02-09-2005, 06:18 AM
I am currently using (don't laugh) a 500mhz g4 tower with 1.25 gigs of ram. I am getting ready to spring for a new g5 with 2gigs of ram, I will probably keep the Ati 9600xt card. Has anyone else out there made a similar step up and if so how dramatic was the difference between the two?

Activator
02-10-2005, 08:54 AM
I've been using a G4 Dual 1.42 (1.5 Mb RAM) for the last two years and I just got a G5 Dual 2.5 (2.5Gb RAM).

While the G5 doesn't "seem" that much faster in general everyday use, (mail, word, etc.) it is approximately 2x as fast as the G4 for Lightwave renders!

I'm rendering a motion graphic animation with LOTS of raytraced reflections, transparency, shadows, etc. and the G5 renders a frame in 12 minutes to the G4's 24+ minutes. This is using Renderfarm Commander with both machines set to 2 threads and 128MB segment memory. The Macs are networked via Gigabit ethernet, so I don't think the network is adding any time to the G4 renders.

One interesting thing about the G5. It's whisper quiet until you hit the render button... then the cooling fan ramps up and it gets LOUDER than the G4's steady fan noise! :eek:

marinello2003
02-16-2005, 10:52 AM
I just got my new 2.5 G5 - I am still waiting for the 8GB ram to be delivered - hopefully tonight. Then I can give it a throrough test.

I have noticed a vast speed increase over my G4 for most things. The only thing is it slows down with big scenes because of lack of ram with 512MB stock. (I think that will go away when the 8GB arrives tonight).

What amazed me the most was the amazing performance of the ATI X800 card at 2048X1536 res monitor. It drove the Models in Modo and LW about 2-3X faster than the Radeon 9800 in my Mac G4. So the biggest speed increase has come from graphics and Open GL so far.

Hopefully the render times between the Dual and my G4 will improve when I get more ram. I will let you know.

-brent