PDA

View Full Version : Do I even want to Upgrade from VT[3]

mtruss
02-08-2005, 08:46 PM
I have had nothing but trouble and have spent many hours and dollars trying to get the VT[3] I have to stabalize. At this point I am hoping that this group will help. I have talked to tech support and have been given updated drivers but I am told I am running the latest version and the new drivers are for the VT[4] but may work with the [3].

Here is my config. Considering I have tried to use both Windows XP and 2000 SP 4 and have rebuilt the system almost a dozen times.

P4 3.2GHZ.
1.5 Gig RAM
20 GIG 7200 RPM System Drive
4 - 36 GIG (140 GIG total) SATA Array 10,000 RMP Edit drive
5 - 18.2 GIG (90 GIG total) SCSI Array 15,000 RPM Live Capture Drive
Windows 2000 sp 4
Windows Media Player 9

This seems to be the most stable config and has minimized my lockup to 10 - 15 a day.

I have a limited number of apps installed on this system, photoshop, sound forge and lightwave 7.5, DVD-Lab

DVD burner and interface for the SX-8 and RS-8.

The issue I have and have been dealing with is a random crashing of the system.

Usually the system will just lock up and I have to kill the toaster and then winruntime. This happens in both VTEdit and when I am doing a live production. Sometimes I will get winruntime drop frames but most of the time it just lock up.

When this happens in a live shoot It costs me many hours of editing in the backup tapes and working with the audio because the only backup audio I have is from the cameras.

If anyone has any Ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Jim Capillo
02-08-2005, 08:49 PM
OK, we'll start with this:

What do you have for DVD/CD burning software ? Packet writing (drag and drop) software is a definite no-no with the VT.

Firewire card installed?

If so, what chip on it? TI ?

mtruss
02-08-2005, 08:59 PM
The main board I have is an ABIT IC7-MAX3 and yes it is a TI chipset for the firewire controller.

I have roxio installed complete but nothing loads on startup.

mtruss
02-08-2005, 09:20 PM
As a test, I disabled the TI Firewire hardware and removed Roxio drag to disc and everything except the creator classic.

Started editing again and got about 10 minutes into editing and it locked up again. This time however It allowed me to save my work before it quit responding. It quit playing video, I was able to select different clips, save the file, and when I started the video playback in VTEdit again the Program monitor was frozen, shortly after that the system completly froze, VT not responding.

Maybe I am getting somewhere.

MediaSig
02-08-2005, 09:49 PM
What is the size of your power supply?

Greg

mtruss
02-08-2005, 09:52 PM
350 Watt. My video card is a 256 Meg ATI Radion. It seems to freeze up when I either scroll too fast or go into the positioning mode. I tried a 64 Meg Nvdia and had the same issue but could not use dual screens.

For tonight I will have to call it quits. I will work with it more Thursday.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get this resolved.

Jim Capillo
02-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Well, you may need to do a clean install of your system OS and then VT. If I remember correctly, the uninstall for the packet writing software may leave files behind that will croak VT.

Also, have you done a RAM check?

Jim Capillo
02-09-2005, 04:55 AM
The main board I have is an ABIT IC7-MAX3 and yes it is a TI chipset for the firewire controller.

I have roxio installed complete but nothing loads on startup.

I'm not sure about compatability with that MB or video card. Perhaps one of the dealers will chime in with more info.

wvp
02-09-2005, 07:19 AM
First keep in mind that you may get many suggestions here. The best (and usually only) way to solve the problem is to try things ONE at a time. Fortunately your problem appears to occur frequently enough so you can verify once you solve the problem.

Your 350 watt power supply sounds abit low to me - I run a 550. While I'm no expert, it is possible that as you start editing/capturing your power consumption goes up and this may lead to the problem you are having. You could buy a 550 and try it out - if it does not help you could then return it to the store.

That said, I would follow Jim's advice. Do a re-format of the system drive. Wipe it clean! then install Windows. Install Media Player9, Direct X 9 (check MS for latest version) & the latest video drivers for your card. Then install VT3. (you might want to do a test at this point), then install the latest update for VT3, then test again.
NOTE: at this point you have not installed anythingelse on the computer.
Hopefully at this point the problem does not exist - if so then you need to start installing your other software & testing after each install. With Roxio, use custom install & don't install the direct CD.
IF your problem still exists after the clean install (before other programs) I would suspect you have hardware that is not compatible with the VT. VT3(latest build) really is/was pretty stable. VT4 is also, but like any new version has some bugs here & there that some people have while others don't.
Good luck!

MediaSig
02-09-2005, 08:45 PM
I was having some of the same issues you are until I changed out my power supply. Mine was poiwering the system plus 4 hard drives. I originally had a 400 (or maybe 420) watt that I replaced with a whopping 600w.

All my lock-ups and crashes seemed to disappear. I've seen Paul Lara suggest this option before...and I think he was the one who told me about this. I can't thank him enough.

You might want to consider bumping your up a bit.

Greg

kleima
02-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Make sure your NVidia NView Desktop Manager is DISABLED. Your NVIDIA settings should be in the system tray.