PDA

View Full Version : Scripting in Lightwave

Helmi
02-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi all!

Did somebody in the Developer-Team think about the possibility to use Python as scripting-engine ? Python is so powerful and cross-plattform able. It's a pain to learn a new language for each application.

Python may be embedded as a scripting language in an application, or Python functionality can be extended with compiled code written in some other language, such as C or Delphi/ObjectPascal.

There are a lot of samples of apps using python as scripting-language:
Caligari trueSpace 4.0 or later, Blender, Magenta, Alice, Crystal Space game engine. And they all have the advantage of a unique scripting-syntax.

bye
Helmi

NanoGator
02-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't mind of LW were to adhere to a language that is already well known, but I'm not sure that all the benefit would be there. Once you know how to create a loop or an if/then statement, you're basically left with "How do I go about getting this particular info out of Layout or Modeler?" In that case, the benefit of using a broader language disappears.

Helmi
02-08-2005, 03:35 PM
You are right:
How do I go about getting this particular info out of Layout or Modeler is important for doing this job and maybe independend of the scripting language.

But for the part what is the plugin doing, how to handle the data from layout and modeler .. using classes etc .. reuse code .. I think the advantages for this part would be great!

bye
Helmi