PDA

View Full Version : rotation problem

czesiu
02-08-2005, 04:34 AM
Hi e-body,

Here goes story.
I have created a drill and the dril has special placement in space.
Now I want the drill to spin but it is not possible since it does not act
in any logic way.

I have rotated it about the Local axis but it spins about World axis.
The drill should use the local axis to spin since I used it but it wont.

What is wrong, how to make it work.
Appreciate all help, this seem not logic to me.

Cheers

BeeVee
02-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Parent the object to a null and spin the null, rather than the object itself.

B

czesiu
02-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the hint, I appreciate it and I will try it.

However, is there no way to influence the objects directly?
It would be very easier to could do that.

Creating a Null Point to each object that will move in some special way can't be a good solution, could it?

At the end in some scenes it can be tens or even hundreds of Null Points.
This will make the scene more confusing and complicating than planned.
It will also make the screen full of Null Points and more confusing.

How about changing that in future updates?

Cheers
czesiu :confused:

parm
02-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Move the pivot point of the object, to the center of rotation you wish the object to have. You will then be able to rotate the object itself.

Parm

czesiu
02-09-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi Parm,

thanks for your reply.
Sorry to say but that wont work.
I
tried what you decribe in first place before I wrote to forum.
I don't know if I did it right or not but because of that it did not work for me I wrote to forum asking for help.

Cheers
czesiu :o

parm
02-09-2005, 03:29 AM
Hello czesiu,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not having much luck. But are you sure its not worth having another go.

Only, I downloaded your file, centered the pivot and it seems to work fine.

Try having grid snap on, set to standard, when moving your pivot. Also, you may need to center the object itself first. And make sure action center is not set to mouse.

Good luck
Parm

evenflcw
02-09-2005, 07:41 AM
The main problem here as I see it is that you want to position and animate using the very same rotational handles. But with the way you have your handles oriented right now this will never work. If you don't wish to use nulls and parenting, I can see two ways of adjusting your handles.

First one involves simply rotating the pivot in Layout. Just activate either the Rotate Pivot Tool or execute the Rotate Pivot command, and enter the same rotational values you have at frame 0 for "regular" rotation.

The second one works with evaluation order of rotation in mind. The different rotational axes are evaluated in a certain order. Heading first, then pitch and last bank. Rotate the heading, and both the pitch and the bank will move along with it. Rotate the Pitch, only the bank will move along. Rotate the bank... only the bank will move! Because the bank is evaluated last it is the only one that can rotate completely independantly of the others. You can use this to your advantage. If you enter Modeler and reorient the drill to lie centered along the Z axis, it will load into layout with the bank as the drills "spin" or "drilling" axis. Now you can freely align the drill using heading and pitch, but always have the "spin" axis stay oriented as it should.

I attached a scene showing both solutions.

There are loads of ways to fix these things, what way you should use depend highly on the circumstances.

czesiu
02-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi evenflcw,

Now I got got it work as you made it in your fix file, thanks.
But it was a bit tricky to adjust Pivot's position to get it right.

Actualy I have fixed it by creating a drilling machine chuck and Parenting it to it.

Wow, it was quite time consuming to fix it.

Cheers
czesiu :)

czesiu
02-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Thanks to all of you for your replies and help.

Cheers
czesiu