PDA

View Full Version : More Maestro video demos

ericsmith
02-07-2005, 07:57 PM
We've uploaded some videos showing more specific aspects of the Maestro default biped rig.

Foot Control (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Vid-5-FootControl-DivX2.avi)

Waist and Spine (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Vid-6-WaistAndSpine-DivX2.avi)

Head Controls (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Vid-7-HeadControls-DivX2.avi)

Arm Controls (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Vid-8-ArmControls-DivX2.avi)

Commands (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Vid-9-OtherFeatures-DivXb.avi)

As before, feel free to post any questions and/or thoughts.

Grace
02-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Sorry, but I can't seem to open the links! I'd sure like to see you product in action. BTW, I also couldn't access the links you posted in your other thread...perhaps it's just me?

NanoGator
02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Hmm... they're all working for me...

js33
02-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Looks cool. I'm checking out the other threads for answers to my questions.

Cheers,
JS

philthorn
02-07-2005, 11:31 PM
And when did you say you were going to release it? :)

I haven't been this excited about a plugin since FPrime!

Once again, awesome work!

ericsmith
02-07-2005, 11:42 PM
That's really great to hear.

At this point we're about a week away from release. It's definitely going to be a busy week for us.

Eric

Johnnyx
02-08-2005, 02:36 AM
That's really great to hear.

At this point we're about a week away from release. It's definitely going to be a busy week for us.

Eric

..its going to be a long week... I'm really looking forward to this plugin...!!

Quick question Eric, (sorry if I missed this in the vids) .. is it possible to select a node without risk of moving anything... like using middle mouse button or something.. For instance I may want to select and keyframe the foot, but without moving it at all. (hope you see what I mean..)

J

Chris S. (Fez)
02-08-2005, 04:42 AM
I apologize. I have a deadline today so I do not have time to watch all the videos, but does the rig support:

Squash and stretch and scaling of limbs and bones?
Stretchy IK?
Control over number of forearm and spine links?
Ability to add custom skelegon setups (like a tail or wings?)

Thanks. What I have seen looks great btw!

Dodgy
02-08-2005, 05:08 AM
Fez, the plugin does support custom rigs, they're shipping wings and 4 leg rigs with it, it doesn't look like the standard rig does squash and stretch, but you could add this...

Would it be possible to have the standard rig panel take up less screen space? I'm sure you could squeeze that lot into a smaller x space as well as a smaller y space.... :)

Ztreem
02-08-2005, 08:30 AM
WOW!! :eek: I must save some money for this, looks great!

ericsmith
02-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Quick question Eric, (sorry if I missed this in the vids) .. is it possible to select a node without risk of moving anything... like using middle mouse button or something.. For instance I may want to select and keyframe the foot, but without moving it at all. (hope you see what I mean..)

The direct answer to your question is no, but just clicking on a hotspot without dragging will select it. I've never accidentally moved a node when I just wanted to select it. Mice are pretty stable that way.

apologize. I have a deadline today so I do not have time to watch all the videos, but does the rig support: Squash and stretch and scaling of limbs and bones? Stretchy IK? Control over number of forearm and spine links? Ability to add custom skelegon setups (like a tail or wings?)

I'm not 100% on this right now, but I think I'll include a component to add squash and stretch. Enough people are asking about it. I'm not sure what Stretchy IK is.

You could easily customize a rig to have more/less spine or forearm bones, but the default rig is looking for specific bones. The basic rule is that the skelegon structure has to remain intact. You can add extra bones, as long as they don't have the same name as any of the bones in the default structure, but you can't delete any of the default bones. This rule only applies if you are using a default rig file. If you want to change a default rig, you just have to edit the command file to do whatever you want.

Would it be possible to have the standard rig panel take up less screen space? I'm sure you could squeeze that lot into a smaller x space as well as a smaller y space....

We do have a smaller version of the default controller config for those with less monitor real estate.

Also users can modify the default config to any size or orientation they want once, and then export it to be re-used in other scenes.

Eric

Grace
02-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Links are working now!! Thanks!

Chris S. (Fez)
02-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks Dodgy and Eric.

Stretchy IK is an IK chain that automatically stretches to keep up with the IK target. Useful because it allows a character to, for instance, touch his toes even when his default proportions do not allow for such a pose. See Scrat in ice age...

NanoGator
02-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Does that plugin have settings, or is it just applied?

Chris S. (Fez)
02-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Not sure if you are asking me, but I do not believe there is a Stretchy IK plugin.

NanoGator
02-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Not sure if you are asking me, but I do not believe there is a Stretchy IK plugin.

Doh, sorry. I didn't read up enough. :)

Rok4406
02-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Do you plan on adding a facial rig for facial expessions,this would really speed work flow.

NanoGator
02-08-2005, 10:40 AM
A facial rig is being developed. :)

trick
02-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Very interesting plugin.

When doing walks the arm swing is mostly an FK movement. How can I do this easily in Maestro. Can I rotate each arm joint when the hands are not pinned ? I suppose I can add controller fields myself for the arm joints ? Is the "hand pin" animateable ?

ericsmith
02-08-2005, 01:29 PM
The hand pinning is animateable. And with the hand pinning off, even though the arms are IK, you get all the benefits of FK without the hassles of having to move every bone.

However, we're considering including a rig flavor with FK arms. I wouldn't ever want to use it myself, but we want to cover the all the bases.

Eric

blabberlicious
02-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Eric,

Motionbuilder has a great feature which lets you mirror the postional & rotational data from one hand/ foot controller to another.

This is great whhen doing walk cycles, and quickly modifying rigs.

Have you considered someting along those lines?

It would be a classy addition!

Regards

Rory_L
02-08-2005, 09:54 PM
This looks like a must have addition to the LW arsenal!

If you are trying to cover all the bases, then consider foot pinning as well in the same way you have it set up for the arms. There`s times when a down and dirty anim`s all that`s needed and foot slipping isn`t a paramount problem. In those cases, having all the limbs behave in a FK way when you translate the boss parent node is a blessing.

Cheers,

R

harlan
02-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Awesome awesome awesome job Nano!!!!

The ability to add 'commands' directly into your controller setup is awesome!!!

Hey, if we have AutoKey on, can we "drive" a car around with a Maestro control while playing the timeline - sort of like a mouse motion capture kinda thing? I realize of course that we can keyframe on the fly already in LW, but it would be cool to drive a car around with a little joystick control thingy in your Maestro window. ;)

Anyways... I'm looking forward to the release. Nice job keeping it Mac compatible by the way!!!

UnCommonGrafx
02-08-2005, 11:43 PM
I was wondering if you'd stop in...

That is a neat idea. Dancing will be LOTS more fun. If only audio were right. :mad:

harlan
02-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey Robert! :)

Yeah LW's audio support is horrendous - hopefully they'll manage to fix it sometime in the future. After all, it's not like Audio is that difficult to support (hell look what they've done with RT Audio & Video in the Toaster, and they expect us to believe that the Audio is good as it can be in LW). :) :)

Now back to the topic at hand:

hehehe.... he said "facial rig"!! :)

UnCommonGrafx
02-09-2005, 11:11 AM
That it is...

I sure wish they hadn't announced... I don't want to start a project until I get it in my lil'ole hands.

If they fixed the audio, this could well be the year LightWave got a little animation-ability respect outside of our realm. Dreamer as always.

Waitin' on three very cool plugs for lw: Vodka, Maestro and The Rope Editor. Haven't heard where Tafa is but it could easily be added to the list.