PDA

View Full Version : Fastest GI solution now possible in LW using Lightscape

Exception
02-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Hurraah... hey guys...
You can beat anyone's render time with radiosity, and have super quality now that my LS to LW pipeline has been completed. In risk of overexposing my discovery, I am so excited about it, I am pointing you to the official Lightscape to Lightwave v8 thread. http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=30533
It contains a link to the tutorial I have written about the pipeline. It is a whole new approach to getting GI solutions from Lightscape into Lightwave, without any of the drawbacks it used to have. Celebrations for everybody!

Image below: Something to get your head around: Look at the render time.
29.6 seconds.
Who is willing to try that on with their favorite render package?
This scene contains the sample scene that is used in the pipeline tutorial, and adds Virtual Darkroom and Corona. Those last two are not taken into account in the render time (you have to be honest about it). Corona takes longer to render than the entire scene did. Silly plugin.

mattclary
02-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Ummmm, Exception? Want to tell us where we can actually GET Lightscape nowadays? :confused:

Exception
02-07-2005, 08:15 PM
If you really want it, you can get it :)
Second hand?

CB_3D
02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Well,you certainly shouldn´t look for it on edonkey, but e-bay would be a viable option. :rolleyes:

Captain Obvious
02-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Well,you certainly shouldn´t look for it on edonkey, but e-bay would be a viable option. :rolleyes:

When companies buy products and then just cancel them, I'd say there's nothing wrong, morality-wise, with downloading it. It is probably illegal in your screwy country ;) but you won't get caught anyway, so go ahead. ;)

Note that I'm not saying you should pirate software or anything, so please don't ban me. ;)

dgon64
02-08-2005, 04:38 PM
New 8.0 user -I've found website which will sell copy of Lightscape 3.2 for about $50 + shipping(no online download-supposedly too big of a file). How legal? but since it seems to be a well known website there must be some kind of arrangement. Anyway:http://www.soft-number-one.net Look under software and follow the trail to Autodesk LightScape 3.2. Their sales guy only knew it as Discreet Lightscape 3.2 but same difference-right? Hope this helps(and I hope I get my software). Also, this is an unlicensed copy so all you'll get is a copy of the program on cd.

Exception
02-08-2005, 05:36 PM
I wonder how long it will take untill Lightscape is abandonware...
It wouldn't morally be wrong to use a pirated copy, according to my book.
I wholehartedly say: f-word Autodesk!

Titus
02-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Lightscape is now part of Studio Viz, not abandoware.

trick
02-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Lightscape is now part of Studio Viz, not abandoware.

Just a part of it. They skipped the adaptive subdivision part !!!

3DBob
02-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Lightscape is not part of Viz - that is a fallacy, maybe part of the concepts are part of Viz

cresshead
02-09-2005, 04:38 AM
lightscape is def NOT part of viz 2005 or max 7....

they put a "similar" engine for radiosity in viz and max but their version needs huge amount of ram ...like 2 gig to get typical scenes to calculate without disc swapping..they also skipped out on the usability of lightscape comapred to the hoop jumping of max/vix....sure you CAN get a simialr render out but lightscape is STILL the de facto radiosity renderer on this humble planet of ours...

it's a travesty that they retired it...they should have retired max!...at max 5

then made a NEW 3d app the put lightscape into it..properly..

i know that lightscape is "old world" and doesn't run on xp but it delivers fantastic results...with little effort...that sometin all apps should strive for...

oh n yeah..i do have lightscape BTW...tis underused by me currently but will be
brought into my workflow with lightwave and max [i have max 4] this year much more as al the alternative radiosity renderers STill have a huge gap to pull in to just get withtin "touching distance" of lightscape capabilities....and lightscape was last updated in 1998....seems several firms have "lost the plot" and shooud really look tward how lightscape does things and put that into their 3rd party render solutions.

if lightscsape ever becomes free ware or available to pick up by a company like newtek that would really put the "cat amongst the birds"....29 second photoreal renders would drop most jaws looking at the results.

Exception
02-09-2005, 05:01 AM
and doesn't run on xp

Yes it does. Runs just fine.

29 second photoreal renders would drop most jaws looking at the results.

Well, for now you can use my method to get 29 sec. photoreal renders : )

Lude
02-09-2005, 09:16 AM
I've had a very quick glance through your tutorial, thanks very much.

But I didn’t notice any mention of that plug-in you and a 3rd party made. Is there 1 and where do u download it / how much dose it cost?

Also are you working on more for the tutorial, if so you’re really dedicated to getting us using lightsacpe and again thanks very much for your efforts.

By the way is lightscape useful for outside scenes, I’ve only seen you guys showing interiors.

Exception
02-09-2005, 10:12 AM
I've had a very quick glance through your tutorial, thanks very much.

But I didn’t notice any mention of that plug-in you and a 3rd party made. Is there 1 and where do u download it / how much dose it cost?

Also are you working on more for the tutorial, if so you’re really dedicated to getting us using lightsacpe and again thanks very much for your efforts.

By the way is lightscape useful for outside scenes, I’ve only seen you guys showing interiors.

Hi. Look at Part IV of the tutorial. the program is mentioned there. Its not a plugin, its an addition to an already existing program. The program costs 20$ and is usefull for many 3D conversions anyway.

I am still working on the tutorial, I still have the various baking paths to discuss, but since everyone wanted the big new thing to be out of the hat, I released it up untill the baking.

Lightscape is usefull for outdoor scenes but when plants are involved it gets tricky. I havnt done any outdoor scenes in Lightscape yet. since outdoor is so much easier for a GI solution, Lightwave itself can usually handle it just fine.

Fausto
02-09-2005, 11:32 AM
New 8.0 user -I've found website which will sell copy of Lightscape 3.2 for about $50 + shipping(no online download-supposedly too big of a file). How legal? but since it seems to be a well known website there must be some kind of arrangement. Anyway:http://www.soft-number-one.net Look under software and follow the trail to Autodesk LightScape 3.2. Their sales guy only knew it as Discreet Lightscape 3.2 but same difference-right? Hope this helps(and I hope I get my software). Also, this is an unlicensed copy so all you'll get is a copy of the program on cd.

You know the old adage, if it's too good to be true it isn't! I think this may apply to this site. Yes it's fancy, doesn't appear to be fly by night, but here's two clips from their FAQ section

Some software can work only with dongle. Do I need dongle?
No. All software that needed dongle is cracked.

If I purchase any software from your site will I be able to get any upgrades?
No, sorry. However You can come back and order the latest version of the software with great discount.

Exception
02-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Any site with more than one hyphen in its name is pretty much always a scam.

cresshead
02-09-2005, 12:38 PM
just want to add that newtek are a extreemly kind company and actually sent out a 5.6 install disc keyed to my dongle a year or so ago... so i can use lightwave with lightscape back in 5.6 as your tutorial shows it's a good method.

and how nmany companies would do that?....not many...not discreet for sure!

thanks newtek!...your da dudes!

also thanks for this tutorial i'll try out the alternative methods when i get a chance to.

steve g

CB_3D
02-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Ahhh,the dream would now be a plugin for 8.2 that does all the stuff in the tutorial at the push of a button. :rolleyes:

CB_3D
02-09-2005, 01:31 PM
I think Cresshead meant this when trying to install it.

dgon64
02-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Well I've taken the plunge and ordered LightScape through this website so I guess I can play the guinea pig and let you guys know how it works out. Total cost via U.S.Airmail was $58 and payable through a "secure" third party website called Stormpay so there is some recourse. Glad to know it runs on XP cause that's what I run since my W2000 computer died. Also, I tried to buy a full version on E-bay last week but got outbid literally at the last millisecond by $2(you know who you are) and that was the only place I've found it. I don't condone buying pirated software and I'm not saying that that's what this is but for anyone interested in Exception's innovative solution to practical GI rendering,etc. what choice do those of us have who don't already own this product ? It seems even if I could purchase this product the fact that it is dongle- dependent and would require registering this product with Autodesk for it to work-has anyone been to their website just to get any info on Lightscape? Non-existent! So then how would you get it to work? As to not being eligible for upgrades to this software-I don't think anyone is holding their breath for LightScape 4.0(or even 3.5) but at $58 a pop I think I can afford it. Sorry to go on for so long but I've followed the LightScape thread for awhile and was duly impressed with Exception's effort-at no cost! So thanks again Exception and when I get the software, I'll let you guys know my problems(or lack of them).

Exception
02-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Official support site is here:

http://www.discreet.com/support/lightscape/

cresshead
02-09-2005, 06:08 PM
actually discreet no longer support lightscape...

jeff mottle over at www.cgarchitect.com has taken over support of lightscape with discreet's blessing.

steve g

cresshead
02-09-2005, 06:24 PM
additionally you can get lightscape on ebay as 3 of my students just bought 3 lightscape's from a studio in usa and got them posted out to the u.k...the studio had some extra seats plus has moved on to VIZ 2005 for new projects.

also a SGI version of lightscape 2.0 was for sale the other day with manuals etc
for $1.00!....you'd need a sgi machine though...also available on ebay for around $100!!!....an o2 185mhz!

it's still for sale!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22463&item=5750024186&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

cheers

steveg

Muad'dib
02-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey there Exception,

First of all let me once again say a huge thank you for doing all the hard yards on this workflow and sharing this information with the community. I got a chance to go through most of it last night with LS 3.2, all my copies of LW (luckily I've been on the wagon since 5), and the latest Acutrans. Deceptively simple yet I totaly believe the time and effort you've spent finessing this technique. I have one small question regarding the scenes you posted. I followed them through step by step and seem to have an issue with the LW side of things. Whatever I import as the final model, then change the diffuse/luminosity to 100% I still get all the surfaces that don't have textures assigned displaying/rendering as black. These are the zipped scenes posted on your site. I recall you mention this issue somewhere on the main thread but not in the tutorial that you posted so just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something really simple. Many thanks Exception :)

Exception
02-10-2005, 01:29 AM
Perhaps you missed the part where you have to set the surface color of all surfaces to white. See Step 4 of Part IV of the tutorial.
Its easy to miss as it is not logical to do.

Let me know if this has solved your problem...

Muad'dib
02-10-2005, 03:34 AM
Ahhh - thank you :) can't believe I missed that step. Works like a treat.

Exception
02-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Added a realtime version download thingy discription in the other thread in Architecture and Visualisation.

operation
02-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi guys!

Good idea to use Lightscape ( harggg !! I don't know where is my cd ... I bought it in 1998 and ... maybe in the trash ... argh.... !!! I regret now, thanks for your tutorial anyway!

just a link for the fun (oldies but goodies ) we were dreaming looking to this pictures :

http://www.caed.asu.edu/architecture/236_web/236_photoreal_render/index.html

But becareful !!! Lightscape is an old software , maybe you will be lost or find the interface very ... hummm ...windows95 !! or almost win311 !! ;)

That means :

Yes renders goes very fast under lightwave but the setup process ( LW export, Light setup in Lightscape, export , texturing ...etc.. ) could be long too.

I just say that in case people hurry and goes to buy an old version of Lightscape and be desapointed.

Think twice before to buy !! ( my advice for today : )

Just in case you are looking for a global illumination tool you can try this one !

http://www.frecle.net/giles/

cheers up !

Operation

operation
02-10-2005, 05:16 PM
hi !! it's me again !

I found a tutorial on the web ( in chinese ...sorry ...) but maybe it will help to have an idea about the interface and the setup of a scene... not so fast.

http://www.cgmate.com/workshop/2003/02/realmc7_light_scape_2.html

cheers up !

Operation

dgon64
03-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Just thought someone might be interested-but I finally got my copy of Lightscape 3.2 and it installed just fine. The aforementioned website had to send the package twice as it somehow got lost in the mail the first time it was sent. Sending it by registered mail worked great the second time around so if anyone else is interested I'd recommend maybe using FEDEX for delivery or at least requesting it be sent via registered mail. BTW I live near Chicago(USA) and the postmark was Belarus yet the second time it was sent via registered airmail, it only took 10 days for delivery. Anyway onto learning yet another program!

Exception
03-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Yes renders goes very fast under lightwave but the setup process ( LW export, Light setup in Lightscape, export , texturing ...etc.. ) could be long too.

I just say that in case people hurry and goes to buy an old version of Lightscape and be desapointed.

I suspect anyone doing that will have a read through the tutorial and get a clear picture of what is involved.

Just in case you are looking for a global illumination tool you can try this one !
http://www.frecle.net/giles/

Thats a handy tool, but as mentioned before, Gile is absolutely useless when used for the things Lightscape is used for.

Exception
03-12-2005, 04:02 PM
hi !! it's me again !

I found a tutorial on the web ( in chinese ...sorry ...) but maybe it will help to have an idea about the interface and the setup of a scene... not so fast.

http://www.cgmate.com/workshop/2003/02/realmc7_light_scape_2.html

In case you missed, I have also written a whole part of the tutorial about setting up a scene in Lightscape.