PDA

View Full Version : UV-Maps get deformed

red fox
02-07-2005, 09:46 AM
:confused:

When I make a new UV-map on an object the UV is distorted and out of proportion. So when I paint the image using the UV as reference that will also be distorted. So when it gets mapped onto my object it is all stretched out and wrong.
My object is not a complicated one. I've even gone as far as flattening out the model using endomorphs to try and get a better proportioned map; same result. Bit at a lost now, not sure what Iím doing wrong if anything.
Any help would be great, textures arenít my forte.

Dodgy
02-07-2005, 10:07 AM
:confused:

When I make a new UV-map on an object the UV is distorted and out of proportion. So when I paint the image using the UV as reference that will also be distorted. So when it gets mapped onto my object it is all stretched out and wrong.
My object is not a complicated one. I've even gone as far as flattening out the model using endomorphs to try and get a better proportioned map; same result. Bit at a lost now, not sure what Iím doing wrong if anything.
Any help would be great, textures arenít my forte.

Have you tried unwelding all polys before applying the mapping...

red fox
02-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Yeah, I think I've done every thing. The problem is with the shield, the colour map is stretched along the Z axis. Iíve tried using planer and atlas texture maps but they look distorted, using them for a reference to paint a colour map ends up with what I got, stretched UVís.

red fox
02-08-2005, 03:49 AM
The UV is elongated in the Y or V axis.

Dodgy
02-08-2005, 04:42 AM
You do realise the Uv map create only gives you a starting point for your mapping? That you can then modify the uvs (by scaling moving etc) to give a better reflection of your model's shape?

red fox
02-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Errrrrr.....no I didnít. I knew that I could unwield UV poly's and then move them....didnít occur to me to try and scale it.

Such a simply mistake has taken me a week to sort out.

Cheers for that will try it now.

BeeVee
02-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Also, it may be better for you to select individual polys, rather than the whole object, and just UV map them - especially since you seem to be texturing the shield that way because it's more difficult with the traditional projections? That way you'll get more control over the placement of the images in the UV texture window...

B

Yog
02-08-2005, 09:54 AM
By default LW's default UV mapping projections will non-uniformally scale your selection to fill the 0,0-1,1 UV grid. This means that unless your selection is square to start off with, it will be stretched to make it square.

One solution to keep your selection in the same proportion is to draw a cube around it before applying the UV map (making sure that no part of your model is outside the cube), apply the UV projection to your selection, including the cube, then delete the cube.

Rory_L
02-08-2005, 09:07 PM
By default LW's default UV mapping projections will non-uniformally scale your selection to fill the 0,0-1,1 UV grid. This means that unless your selection is square to start off with, it will be stretched to make it square.

One solution to keep your selection in the same proportion is to draw a cube around it before applying the UV map (making sure that no part of your model is outside the cube), apply the UV projection to your selection, including the cube, then delete the cube.
A better solution is to use the Texture Guide 2 plugin. Sorry Yog, but the cube method is a bit old school! :)

Red Fox, like they said, any of the UV mapping tools just give you a starting point. you will then have to modify the UV points to reduce distortion. Apply a grid pattern to the colour channel while you`re doing this and you`ll see the errors more clearly!

Cheers,

R

Yog
02-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Sorry Yog, but the cube method is a bit old school! :)

R
Heh heh, "Old school" is me all over ;)

I still find that I often parent cameras to a couple Nulls to split out movement/rotation channels. My poor old brain can't cope with this new fangled per channel key framing :p

red fox
02-09-2005, 04:38 AM
Cheers guys, all sorted now. Will post the final model soon as Iíve finished the other maps.

colkai
02-09-2005, 08:05 AM
A better solution is to use the Texture Guide 2 plugin.
R
Care to expand on that? Is it just a method of sizing the texture? If so - how does that help the creation of the UV map?

Dodgy
02-09-2005, 10:36 AM
It's an alternative version of the texture guide tool which works a bit better than the old one. So basically it's an interactive way of uv-mapping vertices....

colkai
02-09-2005, 02:36 PM
righty - must take a peek at that - ta Mike!

Rory_L
02-09-2005, 07:42 PM
...And holding `Control` as you resize the widget maintains aspect ratio. It`s a cool plugin!

R