PDA

View Full Version : .dxf import from QCad (continued from a "Community" forum thread)

potempkin
02-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Sorry to drag back this seemingly "dead" thread. This is a continuation of this (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32778) thread in the "LW - Community" forum. I've created this continuation in the Mac forum because what I'm getting into seems more Mac-oriented. :o

I've been working on this some more with the goal of making the QCad-to-Modeler workflow a "free" one. What I mean is that I'm trying to avoid having to purchase Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand. I do currently have access to Adobe Acrobat Distiller, so here's what I've tried:

======================================
QCad --> to PostScript file
Since I have Distiller (v5.05 -- the one that only runs in Classic), I printed the CAD file to a postscript file. This is similar to printing a PDF, but you have to choose Distiller as your print spooler, and then it'll give you the option to print to a postscript file. The printing process itself is native to Mac OS X, it's only Distiller that runs in Classic. I'll get to that next.

PS --> PDF --> EPS, 1st try
At this point, I could use Distiller to convert the postscript file to a PDF. Distiller does this flawlessly, however a PDF is useless to me (unless someone knows of a PDF importer for LightWave). I've heard rumors that Distiller can also directly convert a postscript file to an EPS (since an EPS is basically a PS file with header information). I have yet to find a way to do this with Distiller 5.05 on Mac. Anybody have info? Anyway, just to see if I could get this working, I used Distiller to convert the PS file to a PDF, and then opened it in Acrobat. After changing the security permissions on the file, I saved the PDF as an EPS file. When imported into Modeler, however, most of the lines are missing -- I get only L-shaped 2-point polygons when I should have much more complex shapes that are esentially triangular in shape. Interestingly, when I opened this EPS in Photoshop, the file is rasterized correctly.

PS --> EPS, 2nd try
Next, I tried the application MacGhostView (http://www.kiffe.com/macghostview.html) to make the conversion, but the EPS file it created crashes Modeler every time. Photoshop can open this EPS with no problem.

PS --> EPS(i), 3rd try
This time, I installed GhostScript and used the "ps2epsi" utility to convert the postscript file to an EPS. This EPS also crashed Modeler every time. Photoshop can also open this EPS with no problem.

PS --> EPS, 4th try
Next, I tried Roland Bless' "ps2eps (http://www.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de/~bless/ps2eps.html) " utility which is based on GhostScript, but is supposedly better at determining the bounding box information of the postscript file. However, this application ran into errors trying to figure out the bounding box info of my postscript file, so I never could create an EPS.

PS --> EPS (well, actually, AI), 5th try
In the end, I wound up opening the previously-mentioned PDF in Macromedia Freehand. Modeler was unable to import the "Generic EPS" that I tried to export from Freehand, so I ended up exporting an Illustrator 7.x file. This imported into Modeler flawlessly. Incidentally, neither the EPS, nor the AI exports from Freeahand open in Photoshop.

So right now, I seem to be stuck with a non--free workflow. I'd like to avoid having to purchase either Freehand or Illustrator when 4 of the 5 options I tried supposedly produce a valid EPS. Anybody have any other comments or ideas?

Chuck
02-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Can you provide us with the EPS files that work in Photoshop but don't in Modeler? We'll see what we can do with regard to the importer.

potempkin
02-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi Chuck. People should feel free to take a look if they've got the time. I put a 65KB ZIP file up here (http://www.akibako.com/potempkin_QCad-to-LW_files.zip). Let me know what you find! :)