PDA

View Full Version : I need cheap & LO-FI compositing software....

doimus
02-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Well, as title says.... I'm in need of some kind of video compositing package with just the most basic stuff like support for image sequences, layers and trransition effects. High-end solutions are completely out of my budget.
I would prefer an opensource solution but it's not necessary. Shareware and reasonably priced commercial packages are also ok.
I've searched all over the net and found only Jahshaka wich produced nothing but constant crashes (still in heavy beta development).

And there HAS to be something feature-wise in between VirtualDub on one and AE, Combustion etc. on the other side...

It would be nice if Newtek had some affordable intermediate VT-based compositioning solution for small/freelance/hobbyst Lightwave users ....

starbase1
02-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Have you considered Adobe Premiere Elements?

It can key out based on colours, and supports up to 99 video layers.

It will load image sequences directly, comes with a decent range of filters / effects / transitions. Titling is also pretty good.

Weakness are that it is not very good at DVD menus, does not support direct output to Mini DVD or SVCD, and is a real pig to learn. (There are plenty of built in guides, but the manual is very weak). By far the most powerful of the cheapies though - I got it for 50 here in the UK, should be about $100 US I guess.

It also takes Premiere filters and effects, so you should be able to extend it to a degree if you later need to add something extra.

Nick

UnCommonGrafx
02-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Lo-Fi, baby:
http://mediachance.com/video/index.html

They make some great software.

jin choung
02-08-2005, 01:08 AM
wow,

cool link UCG!

i agree... there's tons of consumer/prosumer paint and even video editing apps but a real dearth of any kind of compositing/motiongraphics stuff!

but i'm glad that there are companies out there who seem to provide everything that adobe does at a true fraction of cost....

i really hope these guys take off and their stuff becomes a real alternative to something like after effects pro....

jin

Red_Oddity
02-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Haven't tried it myself yet, but, i guess you can't go any Lo-Fi or cheaper than this, as it is OpenSource and free :

http://www.jahshaka.com/

starbase1
02-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Incidentally, if anyone else is using Ulead viseo studio, or Premiere, there are some seriously good free transition effects available at:

http://www.burgers-transition-site.de/13663.html

The flaming one that applies itself to the brghtest parts is particularly snazzy, but many are simpler for more straightforward areas of applicatons.

Nick

wacom
02-09-2005, 06:28 PM
I know you want cheap...but you might consider getting an older version of AE off of ebay instead...might cost the same (unless you're using a free program!). The people at Mainconcept make some stuff you might want too...

doimus
02-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Wow.... suddenly I have too many options! :D

Thanks everybody! I have some serious trial downloading to do (makes one wonder why Premiere Elements trial is 450MB .... it'll easily eat my monthly bandwith :rolleyes: )

I'm currently messing with Premiere Pro Tryout, and while it does what I need, it is indeed a total overkill for my needs. What I basically need is just few layers of video / audio with keying options (for blending multipass animation sequences). I guess P. Elements does that?

Also, Mediachance have some nice compositing tools for 20 wich I yet have to check out...

Mainconcept is very popular around my parts.. how could I forget about them... EVE looks like something I could use....

And as I stated in original post, as much as I love Opensource, Jahshaka is still a LONG way from being truly usable software.

Wacom, does Adobe allow second-hand licensing?

Red_Oddity
02-10-2005, 04:26 AM
I must have read over your Jashaka comment, oopsee :rolleyes:

But the Ebay comment is a valid one, AFX 5.5 can bought for as little as $80

doimus
02-10-2005, 05:58 AM
I checked the ebay, and really there are AE copies for as low as $40 for AE 6.5!

And that automatically triggered the sceptic in me ....
As I understand, those guys seem to operate in some kind of gray zone between legal licensing and full-out piracy... they're selling some OEM bundles or whatewer...

Anyway, I'd rather have full-upgradeable version of some other software than some zombie AE licence. :)
(And considering the fact I'm not in US, Ebay transactions become even more pain in the back.)