PDA

View Full Version : Skelegon/Bone problems

lyndze11
04-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Alright, I have a basic character that I have to learn how to animate and what not for school. The character is finished, and now it's time to do the skelegons; on the image below, you can see my skelegon structure.

After I send the object to Layout, I convert the skelegons to bones, yet for some reason, I'm screwed after that. The character is in one layer, and I've tried having the skelegon structure in both that layer, and seperate layers.

This is really messing me up--I've looked of tutorials and haven't really come up with anything that talks about this problem, and the book is just confusing as hell to me.

Thanks to anyone that can help in the least.

mE

lyndze11
04-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Heh, forgot the picture...

mE

Hiraghm
04-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Doesn't look like you have skelegons for the feet or fingers...

But what's the problem with the bones? How are you "screwed"? Have you created weightmaps for the bones, to control their area of effect? Have you labelled your skelegons so that you know which bone is which, rather than bone01, bone02, etc?

AlphaBeta
04-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Ok, im guessing that your problem is that when you import the character mesh in one layer and the bones in the other, you cannot move the bones so they affect the mesh... (im not sure if thats the problem but that is what I got from what u said)

Well anyways if that is the case, select the layer in which the character mesh is in, than once you have this selected, click bones button (near the bottom, by the objects button) and click item properties for that...

Once you have done that click the drop down menu that says 'use bones from object' and select the layer in which the bones are.

This should solve your problem if that was infact what you were dealing with....

lyndze11
04-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Yeah, sorry I didn't elaborate on the whole "screwed" issue... I was in a bit of a hurry, and overlooked the most important part of my query... Heh...

Yeah, the bones were not affecting the object is what my problem was. I'll rename all of the bones; frankly, I didn't do it in the first place because I was doing this as trial and error, and I didn't want to have to name easch bone every time I tried again. There are no bones in the fingers because this is meant to be a simple animation... Nothing amazing.

What do I do for the weight maps (I'm still new to this and my teacher knows jack all) ?

Adam Bierylo, I'll try doing that tomorrow, since I'm at home right now, and I'll post to let you know how it went.

Thanks,

mE

PS: don't mind that penis-looking bone... some tutorial I was attempting to follow did it, and I went along with it, thinking to would have relevence.

halley
11-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Iím not much of a rigger, but in the past I have cut and pasted the mesh and skelegons into the same layer in modeler. In Layout I select the mesh and hit the convert skelegons to bones command. I just tried it and it work fine.

Try
http://www.vfxcast.com

http://www.kurvstudios.com

For more rigging tutorials

Hope this is helpful.

Castius
11-19-2008, 01:28 PM
If you put the skelegons in another layer. IE: object You need tell the mesh object to "Use Bones From Object".

Select the mesh
go to bones property panel.
At the top change "Use Bones From Object" From self. To the object with the bones.

If you do this and are using weight maps. make sure you have the weight maps on the skelegons as well as the mesh.
or they will be forgotten when the scene is reloaded