PDA

View Full Version : Auto Riggers?

badllarma
02-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Hi looking to buy a new character rigger soon but before I do how do these actually work?
I mean usually I have my character setup all the weight maps for each section of poligons within the character then set up my skelegons with the same names as the weight maps so when I convert them to bones in Layout the weight maps are assigned the the parts I want them to control of the charaters body.

But how do the auto riggers do it? I've looked at the new Maestro one for instance (which is the one I'll no doubt buy). How does the plugin know what part of the character to move??

Is it related to where the skeligons are in relation to the physical structure of the polys in the character?
Just trying to get my head around the concept of all the time I'll save with this or other rigging plugins :D

I do not want to know any secrets I'll pay my money and just use the bloody things :D but I do not under stand how I can bring one of my characters with say no weight maps run the plugin and then in Layout when I move right arm, for instance in MY character it's right arm moves
Or do I still have to set up all the weight maps (of the polys in my character) to relate to the names of the skeligons the plugin use :confused:

UnCommonGrafx
02-06-2005, 10:05 AM
In theory, they 'recall' all the settings from the scene from which the template was built.

The Truest, to date, has been ACS4 in that you could do your own rig from scratch to make it reuseable. But it appears to be broken in 8.x.

Maestro seems to have it all going in the direction we'd all hoped for. And a lot of direction that hadn't been brought to fruition to date.

ericsmith
02-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I do not want to know any secrets I'll pay my money and just use the bloody things but I do not under stand how I can bring one of my characters with say no weight maps run the plugin and then in Layout when I move right arm, for instance in MY character it's right arm moves Or do I still have to set up all the weight maps (of the polys in my character) to relate to the names of the skeligons the plugin use

If I understand your question correctly, I think that you are assuming that a bone can only move geometry that has been tied to it through a weightmap. From what I understand, most of the major 3d apps work this way, but Lightwave can move geometry based simply on its proximity to a bone. This makes character setup easier, but I imagine it's one of the major reasons why Lightwave doesn't have the interaction speed of some of the other packages like MotionBuilder (just my own personal guess, so don't slaughter me if I'm wrong)

Eric

Dodgy
02-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Lightwave is indeed more flexible this way because it can use no weightmaps, the bones calculating their influence on the mesh on the fly, or you can use one weight map across many bones (for example having just a Leg_left weight map applied to thigh, calf and foot bones to prevent cross influence between legs) or have one weightmap per bone like other packages.

I don't think many autoriggers make you have to use weight maps, but they might prefer you to use the bone setup they'll send you. Some allow you to make your own :)
You'll have to look that up :)

badllarma
02-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Well the main thing is it looks like it's going to save LOTS of time which I'm well up for :)
Thanks for the explanations gents.