PDA

View Full Version : antialiasing problems - flickering

ingo
02-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Hi all, i have an annoying antialiasing problem in my animations, both in texture and objects. Its already enhanced medium, so rendertime is much to high. Any idea to fix this and get a decent rendertime ?

Lightwolf
02-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Which AA settings are you using, and are those textures procedural or images?

Cheers,
Mike

ingo
02-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Hanoi, i'm using enhanced medium and the facade is a grid texturemap for bump and color channel. The new aa settings are even worse, only higher aa helps here.

Lightwolf
02-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi Ingo,
you could try to replace the grid procedural with a grid image texture, since images tend to have better filtering. Alternatively increase the fuzzy edge with on the procedural grid, that might help as well.

Have you tried the new filters as well? One of the ...(smooth) filters with enhanced medium might help a bit more (it does tend to make things a bit blurier, but who knows).

I guess another option worth trying out would be to render with a lower AA, but 150% - 200% resolution and then scale down in post.

Cheers,
Mike

radams
02-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Are you rendering fields or frames?

If you are rendering with fields...that could also cause more flicker....
Try rendering as a full frame...or use an app like Aura to blend frames without flicker...

And depending on the angle and size this happens video NTSC or PAL...it isn't the best for fine moving lines...

Good luck ;)

Cheers,

Lightwolf
02-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Another nice trick to comabt interlace flicker is to add a small vertical guassian blur in post, make sure the app is field aware though. Something like 0.5 to 1.0 pixel in size helps. In if you only apply it vertically (wither with a gaussian on y only, or a directional blur at 90į) you won't loose as much detail horizontally.

Cheers,
Mike

ingo
02-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the tips. I already changed something to make it look a bit better. I made the bumpmapping of the grid texture now a bit lower (from 100% to 20%) and raised the ambient light from 0% to 20% to loose some contrast. The new smoother aa's doesn't really help, so i work now with PLD 12 and the classic filter. That gives me a bit better quality now at nearly the same time.

ingo
02-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Here's the example. Much better exept the decorative elements under the windows.

Wade
02-06-2005, 10:24 PM
**those details** - are going to be a challenge unless you are at a fairly high res. It is the nature of the beast. What are your res settings any who?

ingo
02-07-2005, 01:43 AM
The picture posted are at the original size, D1 PAL.

Wade
02-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Time to do a little landscaping - when the aliasing is at its worst the camera just happens have a Palm in front of that detail, or maybe a bird flies by and distracts the eye. I donít mean to make lite of your dilemma, but really you have only so many square pixels to show very crisp, black, parallel, angled, so slightly moving in whatever direction lines. It will give you that effect.

If I wanted to show somebody what aliasing is and what causes it I would ask you for your scene. Not anything you have done wrong it is just the nature of the beastie. Unless you blur the heck out of it - it will pop. Even in real life my eye catches phone lines crossing power lines and I see an effect!!! - Not aliasing but an effect none the less. I do not think IMHO that it is a Lightwave render caused problem.

So it will have to be out of focused blurred or covered up to some degree.

Looking forward to seeing your solution or creative address of the challenge.

I do feel your pain I have been there too many times.

Wade

tischbein3
02-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Mhmm, just wondering nobody has mentioned it:

never ever turn texture antialiasing off for image based bump maps when doing animations.

ingo
02-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Maybe nobody has mentioned it because it makes no real difference. I tried all settings for the texturemap. But in the end only less bump makes the visible difference.

tischbein3
02-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Maybe nobody has mentioned it because it makes no real difference. I tried all settings for the texturemap. But in the end only less bump makes the visible difference.

It does, but not in your case, sorry for this.
It does have an great impact on very small tiles, like a tiled bathroom wall etc. Because turning it off ruined some animations I decided to keep it on allways... and it is a source for trouble.

As asn excuse I've rebuilded a sort of your horizontal balcony part and checked the reconstruction filters. So a dozend animations later I would say, that using :

Classic ->Box(Soft) will work best on those small horizontal lines, while PLD->Lanczos (hard) worst. (Gaussian will do too much harm on the object edges.)
I DON'T KNOW how this will affect the rest of your image, so please don't blame me.

Question: Do you want to display it on tv or pc ?

ingo
02-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks for your tests. My client wants to put those animations on a CD so people can play it on their home PC.