PDA

View Full Version : Compositing Pass - Chinese Clay

Neochris
02-05-2005, 08:26 AM
hi all,
this a test of using ambient occlusion in my production.
here is a composition of my recent works:
(any C&C welcome, also I'm not really the professionals of this field, however thanks to any suggestions or resources sharing.) :)

http://vega.cs.tku.edu.tw/~u90191607/Webaoflowchart.jpg
http://vega.cs.tku.edu.tw/~u90191607/Webaoflowchart_final.jpg

Title: Chinese Clay
Software: LightWave 3D, PhotoShop

ArtGoblin
02-05-2005, 10:50 AM
WOW!!!! this is with out a doubt, the most beautiful CG cup I've ever seen !
No comments from me other than:

"I'd sure like to drink some herbal tea from that"!

riki
02-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Just in time for CNY, looks great.

BTW what does it say down the bottom, looks like Japanese "rapisuta"??

sidetrak
02-05-2005, 08:10 PM
this looks wonderful chris, you could have maybe even left out the specular since your reflections are doing the job ;)

yazan
02-06-2005, 02:07 AM
beautifully done. I wanna say that the light source is confusing somewhat, from the reflections it seems the brighter light should come from the left side as oppose to the right side. or it might work better if you use two shadows form both sources. and probably either realign the specular highlights or as mentioned before, get rid of them all together. Beaustiful job though.
Yazan

Rory_L
02-06-2005, 09:36 PM
BTW what does it say down the bottom, looks like Japanese "rapisuta"??
Lapyuta! It`s a little katakana `yu`. The stuff above says Tenkuu no [?], tenkuu meaning sky, firmament, etc. Someone else`ll have to help out on the last kanji character.

Very nice work Neochris!

R

riki
02-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I always get L and R mixed up, B's and V's :)

My Japanese GF will say "I rub you long time" .

Neochris
02-07-2005, 08:02 AM
to all friends:

thanks guys! :)

those are useful suggestions for me espesically replied by yazan,
and thanks Rory_L, yes, the characters print on the clay were means "Castle in the sky LAPUTA", the film directed by Miyazaki Hayao.

Cheers,
Neochris

Skonk
02-07-2005, 10:42 AM
to all friends:
and thanks Rory_L, yes, the characters print on the clay were means "Castle in the sky LAPUTA", the film directed by Miyazaki Hayao.

And a **** good film it is too :)

Very nice work btw.

EDIT: the ****'s were supposed to say d a m n, not really sure why that would be censored

tmdag
02-07-2005, 06:04 PM
How do You control blur by depth pass in photoshop?
I know tool in eg SHAKE - IDEFOCUS. is there any Photoshop's simmilar tool?

Captain Obvious
02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
How do you do multi-pass rendering in LW? :confused:

Rory_L
02-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Photoshop PSD Export Image Filter plugin.

yazan
02-09-2005, 01:12 AM
I don't see Neochris using it in the layers of photoshop. But maybe its better for Neochris to mention how he uses that pass.
Yazan

flakester
02-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Some fine work Neochris, well done. It's quite beautiful.

If you could find the time to outline your steps in getting such a nice output from the PSD export in LW, I think many people would benefit from it. (Me included!! :)

One question - How did you get the "indirect lighting pass" from LW? I find that PSD exporter a bit odd.

Anyhoo, well done again, and keep em coming.

Neochris
02-09-2005, 04:54 AM
Hi friends, thanks replies. :)
yeah, actually I using "Render Buffer View"(Image Filter Plug-ins) to work with the single image.
Accroding to my experiences in using Softimage|XSI, the diffuse pass, rendering export by lightwave looks like a gray scale image, in order to fit the theory of ambient enviroment, I try to setup manually.

The indirect light pass were also setup by my own(image below), I save different kinds of *.lwo and *.lws as different passes, others like occlusion pass.
with using SG_AmbOcc shader to generate the occlusion shadow and change some settings to surface editor, output the "diffuse" channel rendering by lightwave will get a similar pass to occlusion.

cheers,
Neochris

etobiason
02-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Great cup render! Nice. I have to start experimenting with that technique myself. It is imperative...!

Someone asked about using the z-buffer info to make depth of field. If I were doing it, I would first finish everything else and save a flattened version of the image, and bring the z-buffer grayscale in as an alpha channel (copy the z-buffer image, go to Channels in the color image, click to add a layer which will be an Alpha, then paste. It will paste your z-buffer into the new Alpha you created). Then I'd use that alpha to select the image (you may have to invert it depending on what you want blurry, or adjust the levels depending on how you want the blur to fall off) and apply Gaussian Blur.