PDA

View Full Version : bones help please .....

djjimmy2k2
02-05-2005, 03:39 AM
hi, im new here and i was wondering if someone could help me with something. i have a problem with puttin bones into an object. my problem is that ive made a kind of action figure type model with pivoting arms, but when i put bones in and move them it deforms the arm/leg/whatever im tying to move. what i need to know (what i hope someone can help me with) is how i do the bones without them deforming the object when i try to move it, and just move it in a type of hinged way?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Dodgy
02-05-2005, 06:15 AM
If you're doing it like an action figure, with solid parts, using proper hinges, you can do this two ways.

1/ THE EASIEST! Use layers in modeler. Cut each piece (arm, wrist etc) into a separate layer in modeler, and use the pivot tool (Display>layers>Pivot) to place the pivot where each piece should pivot from. Then you can use the Layer Panel to organise the figure into a hierarchy, parenting the head to the neck, the neck to the body etc. You can then export this to layout and the character is all ready for set up.

2/ Harder: Lay out your bones in modeler and use weightmaps to limit their influence to particular bits.

I would go for the top one if I were you.

djjimmy2k2
02-05-2005, 06:41 AM
are you sure the first ones the easiest cos i just tried it and when you move the character you have to move every single layer. wouldnt that be tedious?

whats a weightmap anyway? what setting would i need to use in order to make the bones pivot in the way i want?

Rory_L
02-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Then you can use the Layer Panel to organise the figure into a hierarchy, parenting the head to the neck, the neck to the body etc.
It sounds like you forgot to do this bit! Dodgy knows what he`s talking about: believe him!

When you animate characters you should parent all parts of the rig, the character setup, to a master null. This is the item you move to translate the whole of the figure around your stage.

Unless you`re animating an arm being ripped off or somesuch you should not touch the individual limbs` move channels at all.

Cheers,

R

djjimmy2k2
02-06-2005, 10:04 PM
yeah thanks. i didnt do that because i didnt know how. i didnt know what to do in layer window but i do now. thanks anyway.