PDA

View Full Version : SoftFX questions...

sami
02-04-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm attempting to use (well attempting is not accurate cuz I have used it successfully in a number of scenes) SoftFX on a rigged character with Endomorphs for facial stuff and I've come across some weird things that I'm possibly doing something wrong with. I'm using it for the jiggly bits - double chin, dangly ears, belly and back of arms.

- I've set up weightmaps for the bits I want to jiggle - my understanding is that 100% = max jiggle and 0%= no jiggle, and -100%=max jiggle in other direction on the vertices. I've set the weightmaps up so that only certain point sets like the tummy are even set so there is no say points for the hands in the tummy weightmap even set to 0%. (I use Fujio's plug to clear them.)

- So I have weightmaps for bellyjiggle eardangle and jowls

My problems are:

- occasionally after having saved .mdd's it sometimes crashes when I "Clear Motion"

- occasionally I get "SoftFX: can't alloc memory" when working on a scene that used to work. (I have 2Gb of RAM so it's not that)

My questions are:

I assume you need to recalc and resave motion every time you make the slightest change to anything that displaces any points in that mesh anywhere? So you can't even change a facial morph without recalcing if you have softfx on the belly? I think that's what I've experienced...
What is the best way to set up SoftFX? if i have several bits on the same mesh that have secondary motion, is it better to add multple softFX's to the Dynamics tab or use the 2 in one on the Operaror Map tab? For example should I mix the jowls jiggle and eardangle onto one Operator map tab or as 2 separate SoftFXs?
What goes in the FX drop down in the Input tab? is it like the Superset of what the calc's apply to? so say if I mix the jowls and ears on the same softfx do I put the whole head weightmap in that FX box on the input tab?
if a character's bit's dangle (keep your mind on the question please ;) ) and you don;t want them to pass thru other parts of that character - is there a way to create collision spheres and say parent them to certain bones so say the ears dangling wouldn't pass thru the shoulders? and if so how do I link that up?

Thanks for any advice :)
sami

Dodgy
02-05-2005, 06:47 AM
1. Yes if you move it you do, but changing some of the settings in softfx will update it in real time...

2. If you can use one softfx because it'll do extra calculations for each instance, thus slowing it down.

3. I assume it's only for the Delay value next to it, like the other fx buttons. If you want to limit the exffect, use the fx button next to the operator.

4. Items>Add>Dynamics>Collision to add a null with collison which you can then configure and position to protect your shoulder.

sami
02-06-2005, 08:04 AM
thanks Are you sure about the Fx thing being only for the delay? Also can you elaborate on a couple more steps of your #4 there? thanks! :D

Dodgy
02-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Not sure :)

Look that part up in the manual :) You just want to add a collision sphere, and place it where the shoulder is...

sami
02-06-2005, 03:45 PM
thx anyway... hahahaa the old RT(f)M thing... :p I have looked it up and won't complain about the manual, but it's not clear what order and where to to what in regards to complex rigged chars with self collision...

I've tried this but not had much success in that the collision spheres don't seem to interact - maybe it's the order I apply dynamics? hmmmm

Dodgy
02-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Well don't collide it with the mesh itself, that's going to be computationally expensive. Go to Items>Add>Dynamics objects>Collision.
What you'll get is a null with collision applied to it. Parent this to the shoulder, and use Move and scale/rotate to place it where you want the dangly bits to collide. You can add more to get the collsions more accurate, but it won't have to be absolutely perfect as the audience won't notice. just close enough will do :)

You could try copying the top of your character to a separate layer too, and applying collison to that (to make it quicker than applying it to the whole mesh), but faking it will probably work...