PDA

View Full Version : Opening project - clips in different location

kleima
04-16-2003, 10:25 AM
There's got to be some way to load a project in which the clips have been restored to a different folder than they were in the original project without having to replace and inherit every single clip - one at a time!!
How can I do this?? Toaster doesn't even give a warning that clips cannot be found, with a prompt to point to a new location. It just loads the project with all the clips represented with a red border.
Can I edit the text of the project file? Anything!! There are too many to replace and inherit and I can't put the clips on their original drive.

kleima
04-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Maybe someone has written a script to do this???

mgrusin
04-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately the .toasteredit project files are binary; if you look at one with a hex editor, you can sort of see the paths in there, but I don't think they can be directly edited without damaging the file. Hopefully Newtek will release the file format information in an SDK, which will make it possible to write utilities to do this. (Someone was once working on such a utility; it was announced in the old forum, but AFAIK it was never released). And T3 may have this capability; it's been asked for a lot.

The current workaround is to inheret the clips back onto the timeline (the quickest way is to hold ALT down while dragging each clip from the filebin onto the red clip in the timeline). This can be a lot of work, but it's doable. You might also try recreating the old directory structure before opening the project; I don't know whether the Toaster uses relative or absolute paths, but if it works it would be a lot faster and easier.

Good luck! -MG