PDA

View Full Version : "Your license key was not found" LW7.5 error

SmallFry
02-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Before anyone jumps all over me, I have read the manual... :rolleyes:

Now, I have LW7.5. I've had it running on my PC for a while, all happy-happy.

My brother has loaned me his G4 tower so I can test a few things before I decide to upgrade to a new Mac. I installed the software, set the dongle (which was on the PC all this time). After I enter my legal registration number in "license.key", I get a "Your license key was not found" error message.

Has anyone else encountered this? This G4 is running OSX 10.2.8.

I've also noticed that the license.key file is originally described as a "Text Document" file, but editing it with TextEdit changes it to a "Document" file. Could this be part of the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

RonGC
02-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Yeah that's the problem, the file needs to be generic text. Open the key file With text edit click on the Format tab in the top menu and in the popup menu click on make plain text. then save the file. his should solve your problem, the file is now a txt file.

I personally use BBedit for all my text needs, a lite version can be had for free off the net.

Ron Cartier

SmallFry
02-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks Ron. I tried getting BBEdit but it's only available right now for OSX 10.3.

I tried a couple of things, including trying a different text editor. I also tried using File Buddy, which was interesting because I was able to compare the original License.key to the changed version. Even changing the file types back to the original settings didn't work.

When I replace the edited License.key with the original, it tells me I have 10 days left to get a license from Newtek.

This really has me puzzled. :confused:

I even installed the 7.5d upgrade, to no effect.

I'm going to test the dongle next to make sure it's working ok...

SmallFry
02-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Well, my dongle still works on my PC. This dongle's meant to be dual-platform, isn't it?

When the dongle's not attached to the Mac, it goes into Discovery Edition mode without complaint so it must be recognizing the dongle.

This is most vexing...
At this rate I may have to upgrade to a Windows machine just so I know Lightwave works on it... :eek:

RonGC
02-07-2005, 11:48 AM
The dongles come in two varieties, platform specific and dual. I would drop Tech support an email " [email protected] " and give them the specifics of your problem include all details on the platform Operating system, dongle id number etc. For both platforms. This will allow them to respond with helpful info:-) It may well be that you require a dual dongle to replace your exisitng one.

Ron

BeeVee
02-08-2005, 01:43 AM
The dongle *is* dual, however the number reported by the dongle on different platforms is, well, different. Have a look - if you are running LightWave 7.5c or later, you'll be able to find an LScript called MakeLicense in the additional menu. Run this on both your PC and your Mac and you see that the code reported by the dongle is different between machines. You merely need to reregister to be able to run on both, and since a license.key file can contain more than one code, you can keep them both in the same file not to have these problems again...

B

SmallFry
02-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks, BeeVee! I will have to try that out!

SmallFry
02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
To BeeVee (or to anyone else who might have an answer) -

I ran the MakeLicense script on both machines and it did show 2 different ID numbers for each machine, but what is the main purpose of the script? Can I use it to enter my new registration number into License.key?

I was a bit confused since it showed an entry field that looked like it would accept a registration number...

Thanks!

BeeVee
02-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Yes, that is exactly what it's for. It avoids having to explain that the license.key file needs to be plain text, not RTF or another format, that it shouldn't have a hidden extension of .txt at the end and where it is. I can just say to people to use that to enter their key and all will be well. However, woe betide the person who clicks okay without entering anything into the Makelicense plug-in, since that will overwrite the existing license.key with "0"s and then the person will need to have recovering their original explained to them and I shall be mighty batey! :)

B