PDA

View Full Version : Video card question

gatti
02-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm transitioning from using Hash Animation Master to LightWave. Since I'm taking this large and expensive step, I might as well fork over some money for a good video card. I additionally need some guidance with maximizing the performance of LightWave while using a 2 monitor set-up.

My current machine specs are as follows:
1.25Ghz G4 Tower
64MB ATI 9000
19" CRT monitor with basic VGA plug
17" CRT Apple with DVI

I currently use this single ATI graphics card to power the 2 monitors at different resolutions. My main 19" monitor is set to 1600x1200 and the right-side 17" Apple DVI monitor is set to 1280x1024.

From my initial thoughts, it seems that I need to buy a new video card for my main monitor while keeping the ATI 9000 card solely for my right-side "support" monitor.

Here are the key questions:
Should I set my monitor to a lower resolution to maximize performance while using LightWave?
Do I really need a separate video card for both monitors as my thoughts tell me?
I don't care too much about seeing all the textures in my scene while I animate. Should I only get a 128MB card to save some money?
And finally, should I stick with ATI and not buy a nVidia card?

Thank you all for the time you take to read this.

eblu
02-04-2005, 03:22 PM
gatti,
well... how can I say this? if you were running lightwave on a quadra, you'd notice an increase in performance compared to hash animation master.

ok thats an exaggeration. but I am running a stock g5 2 gig dual at work, and it has... wait I have to look this up...
an ati of some sort with 128 megs. Lightwave runs just fine.
at home I have a NVidia Geforce4ti (remember them?) and Lightwave runs just fine.

you'll find that Balance in the system leads to the best experience with lightwave...
the most ram, vs hard disk speed, vs processor speed, vs graphics card.

I am running my work machine with 2 monitors at 1280x1024 and it runs just fine. I do run the lightwave window a little smaller, but thats so I can get to the scene editor and graph editor easily.

i guess what I'm saying is... to me... its not that critical to get the "BEST" graphics card.

pat-lek
02-04-2005, 04:43 PM
The Ati Radeon 9000 have a big bug with LW 8... In shaded or texture mode, you can' t see the selected points in the modeler.

I have the same PowerMac, and i had change my card for an Ati Radeon 9800, it' s working well.