PDA

View Full Version : Game development/LW vs Maya/3DSM

euge04
04-16-2003, 10:11 AM
I'm trying to find information on game development using Lightwave on the mac and its been tough finding anything. Where can I learn more about this? It seems that 3D Studio Pro and Maya are the big winners in this area and everything is on the pc. What's the deal?

I want to learn how to make a level and character for something like Quake, anybody know where I can go?

Why do some people prefere Maya and 3D Studio Max? Why are they so popular with games and movies? I thought I bought my mac for a reason but I'm finding I've paid a lot of money for something that isn't as helpfull as I thought it would be.

Mylenium
04-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Well,

Maya & MAX offer more tools for game development, it's as simple as that. While the general modeling and animation surely can be done in LW, it doesn't support such things like realtime previews with DirectX, Physics etc.. Also from what I know many people in the games industry extend their toolset using MAXScript or MEL which seems to be/ is much easier than LScript (I can verify that only for MEL - unlike with LScript everything can be done within Maya, even testing and debugging). Last of all NT have no marketing strategy for the games sector. If you look at Maya and MAX their games tools aren't in many cases even intended for game creators they are mostly already built-in functions that are there anyway - but they know how to sell it by attracting customer attention.

Mylenium

A.Kelly
04-16-2003, 10:01 PM
Bah, I've been looking at the same thing recently. I've been using Lightwave for a while, and love it. But when I started looking into game development, I discovered the same thing as euge04.. so, I tried 3dsmax, and.. well, I'd occasionally find myself tucked away in the corner of my bedroom rocking back and forth with my pillow grasped tightly to my chest screaming 'Make them stop mommy, make the horrible memories stop.' Then I tried Maya.. and after trying to understand the whole process of surfacing in maya (which, isn't too difficult but after you're used to surface editor, everything else is just crazy) I decided, lightwave was the program for me. So, game development tools or not.. Lightwave has my vote.

Red_Oddity
04-17-2003, 02:12 AM
I believe the reason Max is used alot is purely because this has been the sole 3d program on the PCs for a long time (one that can 'something usefull' atleast)

The reason poeple start using Maya now is for 2 reasons, MEL and the openarchitecture of Maya, and not to forget A|Ws agressive but brilliant marketing strategies...

LW will do fine for game dev, people just don't like to switch from software since they can't afford to throw over their workflow.

Heck, just look at CroTeam, Digital Extremes and Ion Storm, they seem to have NO problems when it comes to LW and games.

euge04
04-17-2003, 08:34 AM
So how can I learn some game design using Lightwave? I really don't feel like trying to learn some other new software since I have invested time and money into Lightwave. Anybody know where to begin?

Danner
04-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Lots of succesful games have used lightwave, the polygonal modeler is very good, and UV maps are decent, and has other nice touches like texture baking. There are a few tutorials floating around about creating and animating low polygon objects, newer games are using of course more and more polygons but we still have to be much more careful than when we are modeling for rendered images, (I started using LW on machines with 2mb of RAM so I have the habbit of doing stuff as-simple-as-possible, hard wired to my brain).

Schmeck
04-17-2003, 01:23 PM
I too am looking to pursue a game development career and have been looking for ways to increase my knowledge of 3dsmax and Maya, specifically in relation to game development.

If you guys haven't been to www.3dbuzz.com, I would strongly recommend checking out their video tutorials. I've been attempting to get a handle on max, and the videos offer a very comprehensive and simple approach to understanding other 3d programs. All of their 3dsmax training alone adds up to about 15 hours of great tutorial videos. And it's all free.

If you want more game related stuff, you can check out their videos that cover making content for Unreal and for Quake 3. They also have a counterpart called Unreal Technology that has online classes you can take, complete with instructors again, for free: http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/uunr_onlc.php

euge04
04-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Thats cool its free. Its sad nothing is for Lightwave.

Red_Oddity
04-18-2003, 10:43 AM
You could also try Polycount, lots of tuts and tools

http://www.polycount.com

Cyborgguineapig
04-19-2003, 12:34 AM
Yeah just to let ya know, some new games are being created using LW tools using the power of the Serious Sam engine.

Alpha Black Zero heres pics to that game http://www.seriouszone.com/gallery/abz

Another kickarse game will be nitro Family also using Serious Sam and LW
Heres some cool shiz about that
http://www.seriouszone.com/gallery/nitrofamily

SS2 coming out sometime this year is staying loyal and using LW once again for that.

yeah it may only be Serious Sam stuff using LW right now but Beleive me, once the gaming industry gets a hold of the ease of LW over Max then more developers will come over to LW I think.

cresshead
04-19-2003, 09:13 AM
doom3 character models are being created by lightwave so was unreal tournement 2003...you'll find that lightwave has created quite a few games..it's simply that lightwave is not hi profile in the games industry.

steve g