02-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Why this happened?

Hello,i am a beginner

i find that after render,the image is brighter than its texture

here is the picture

why?

Imatk
02-04-2005, 12:51 AM
First I would suggest to read your manual.

Second I would suggest buying Inside LW 8 and reading that.

Third go through the tutorials on this site... once you do all that you will know the answer to your question :)

Simple answer: Just because your texture looks the way it does in OpenGL (layout) doesn't mean it's going to render that way.

You have to adjust your lights/surface (diffuse, spec) etc. etc.

SO Read your manual.

Exception
02-04-2005, 03:39 AM
Wow thats a pretty bizarre question...
Are you sure you know what kind of a program Lightwave is?

mattclary
02-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Avast, ye Mateys! Prepaaaare to be boarded!

private
02-04-2005, 06:14 AM
The guy asked a simple question. He/She's new and you assume the worst. At least Imatk gave a useful suggestion. Time to get off your high horses. :rolleyes:

mattclary
02-04-2005, 07:18 AM
The guy asked a simple question.

And that's the crux of the problem. I find it hard to believe someone would shell out $1695 for a piece of software, then ask a silly question because their diffuse was set to high (that's a hint, lserlohn) or their lights too bright. Tells me he doesn't own the manuals. If he does, he deserves a little derision for not reading them. ;)

Kurtis
02-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Not to take sides, but he may be a student, and school's have a hard time keeping track of manuals. I know that was always a problem when I taught LW in Houston.

Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt. Anyway...

lserlohn

It's not unusual. OpenGL lighting is never going to give you a TRUE lighting solution. It's an approximation, so it's not going to look the same. The best way to approach lighting in OpenGL is more to make sure your lights are shining on the correct object(s) and in the correct direction(s) than anything else.

You need to plan on doing test renders from time to time for a true idea of how your scene looks.

In addition to some of the other books that have been listed, you might want to look into Nicholas Boughen's book, LightWave 3D [8] Lighting. You can buy it direct from the publishers, Wordware, or from most any large bookstore.

Gui Lo
02-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi Iserlohn,
A quick answer is that the LW renderer is far more sophisticated than the crude OpenGL interface view. It has a lot more options and when these are applied the image from the render differs greatly from the Layout or Modeller view.

The layout and modeller views cannot show the true lighting and can only be used as an approximation. However it is very handy to help judge the scale and orientation of textures, Fog, motion blur and Depth of field.

To get a true indication of the final look the F9 key needs to be used or better get Fprime for a near realtime feedback. To get the rendered image to look similiar to the OpenGlL view you need to turn off all the render options in Render Options and the Camera and also increase the luminosity of the surface you want to see.

Hope this helps.

Gui Lo

mattclary
02-04-2005, 07:46 AM
lserlohn, I apologize if you are offended. I recognise the very real possibility that you aren't actually a pirate (one clue is your join date of over a year and a half ago). I'm just going for a few chuckles here. The flag idea just struck me as really funny. :cool:

Let me warn everyone though, when I see these kinds of posts, don't be surprised if I hoist the Jolly Roger again! So all you newbies be warned, read your documentation or ask where you can get a PDF. Aaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!! ;)

Lottmedia
02-04-2005, 08:42 AM
There's a reason these forums seem to be lacking. This is a place where people can come together and talk about LW, where new people can ask old hands things they don't know, not be pounced upon once they ask a pretty simple question. I hardly post here anymore and plan to stop simply for that.
These forums are not friendly anymore (if they ever were, I don't know) There seem to be too many "old hands" ready to pounce on anyone displaying the slightest bit of ignorance (the definition is lack of knowledge, not stupidity) about LW. THATS WHY THEY'RE HERE. I'm not really sure what could be done about it, NT can only do so much to promote civility. I find it a great loss that such a wonderful resource is squandered with petty actions

J-Rod

lserlohn
02-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks a lot to everyone's kind reply.

i am really a beginner in learning lightwave,and have been learning texture no more than a week,just by myself.

this is my first thread,thanks again.

The community is so warmly ,i love it.

mattclary
02-04-2005, 09:55 AM
There's a reason these forums seem to be lacking.

Lighten up dude, he got an answer from the first person who responded to his post. If he hadn't I would have answered him, right below the part where I razzed on him for asking the question. The user has to take "some" responsibility for resolving his own issues. I'd hardly say the guy got flamed, just a gentle ribbing. ;)

Ramon
02-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Well, I will agree with J-Rod.

This goes foreverbody (yes of course, myself included)... :)
1. "Do onto others as you would have them do onto you".
2. "Place yourselves in the other person's shoes".
3. We should never look for "opportunities" to lessen another persons dignity.

lserlohn, I appologize, this community is known (by me at least) for it's kindness, generosity and good will. Lets keep it that way folks. :)

Gui Lo
02-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Little of my knowledge is actually original and most is read or given by people on this site. I am willing to share my info on LW and help people out becuase that is the way I learn an continue to.

A crazy question to one person is probably mind numbing to the person asking. Every person who learns LW can make it a better app.

private
02-05-2005, 03:19 AM
lserlohn, I apologize if you are offended. I recognise the very real possibility that you aren't actually a pirate (one clue is your join date of over a year and a half ago). I'm just going for a few chuckles here. The flag idea just struck me as really funny. :cool:

Let me warn everyone though, when I see these kinds of posts, don't be surprised if I hoist the Jolly Roger again! So all you newbies be warned, read your documentation or ask where you can get a PDF. Aaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!! ;)

I think it's cool you offered an appology. However, the RTFM attitude sucks. That's a huge problem with experienced users and not being sensitive to newbies. Everyone varies with experience and knowledge. If you choose to share....cool. It's so easy and so annoying to just say, "RTFM". Of all the 3D communities...unfortunately Lightwave is infamous for this. It's sad in many ways.

UnCommonGrafx
02-05-2005, 07:32 AM
But I think the rtfm, or, more appropriately stated, the rtm attitude is not only a valid one but one that everyone should espouse and follow.

For example, in this case one could easily have referenced the manual, a few of the other books out there that have this same info and given him 5 months of study on this one topic.

I'll take a shot at it:
For the manual, simply press "F1" and do a search for diffuse, lights and surfaces.
Go here, http://flay.com; click on "Tutorials" to the upper right and search for using the list above.
Get a couple books or dvds on the matter that will take you on to the next level:
http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/introduction_lighting.php who wrote this book LightWave 3D 7.5 Lighting (http://www.wordware.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=wwpub&Product_Code=1556223544)

I believe the most disingenuous thing to do is not to encourage such an obvious newbie how to 'fish' himself, as it were; learning where and how to find knowledge is as, if not more, important than the knowledge itself.

Those who chided AND gave answers are EXACTLY what the LightWave community is known for: people that are willing to help but not do your work. Not without a fee, at least. :D :p

Avebeno
02-05-2005, 11:24 AM
lserlohn,

Can you show us your surface settings for this object?

Ramon
02-05-2005, 12:00 PM
You've probably figured it out by now but, as was stated before, it could be either the lumiosity on the object could be set to high (but, that should show in the viewport if the options for that are checked in the display options dialog) or the diffuse setting could be creating a issue.
Could be several different issues. Post the scene if you can.

Elemental233
02-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey man heres some links to help you out.

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

http://www.flay.com/

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html

http://www.3dlinks.com/

http://www.simplylightwave.com/

http://www.3dgarage.com/

Could other please post some useful links

lede
02-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Elemental233, I think you have the most comprehensive tutorail site in your first link. Most of the other sites I have found point to the same tutorials. Another really good resource is google.com, the're the only other site I have found that does a good job at finding other tutorials off the beaten path.

lserlohn, Welcome to lightwave! I've been a begginer for the last 11 years so I know the feeling when your looking for answers but don't know how to prase the question. The tips and tricks section of this forum is really good. I've posted several of my mind boogaling questions there and have gooten some really good answers. 3D is a really large subject and can take some time to learn. Keep experimenting and asking questions.

-Lee