PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 Dynamics Problem

dpaultaylor
02-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to animate spheres colliding and bouncing on a plane but I'm having a problem with the spheres partly going through the plane.

The scene is set-up to use an emitter with 40 or so particles and the plane is an object with a collision attached. I need to attach a sphere object to the emitter with FX linker as there will be a lot of spheres. I guessed that I may have to add a hard body dynamic to the sphere before I use FX linker so that LW knows that all the spheres have hard body dynamics attached to them. However, this does not work as expected and all the spheres seem to disappear.

Is this the right way to go about this and if it is, am I missing some settings

Thanks in advance

Dodgy
02-04-2005, 03:24 AM
Use hardfx on your spheres, or alternatively, give particles the size of your spheres in the particle panel.

dpaultaylor
02-04-2005, 04:46 AM
HI,

Yes I've applied Hard FX to the spheres, however, this is the problem, the spheres disappear when I've applied hard FX! I could set the particle size the same as the spheres but this won't give me the control I need.

I've thought of another more manual way to do this and that is to create all the spheres manually and then create a collision object and set the dynamics to start by collision. I think this might would, but using FX linker with the emitter would of course be the quickest way if the hard FX would work.

Thanks

Dodgy
02-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Yeah, don't use HardFX AND Particles on the same object, it'll only confuse the issue. Use either HFX or PFX with large particles, but not both.

dpaultaylor
02-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I guess this is just a limitation of the dynamics engine, so I'll manually create lots of spheres and add Hard FX to them. Thanks again for your help.

Dodgy
02-04-2005, 08:34 AM
You don't have to make them a lot of different objects fortunately, you can make them in one object and HFX can treat them as separate objects... However, you might want to make them just one object cloned many times if they're all the same :)

dpaultaylor
02-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks, that's what I did, using point clone plus. Its now starting to come together!

m4a2000
05-28-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm also having a Dynamics problem in 8.5. For some reason the button isn't active. I have 3D Arsenal installed... could that be causing my problem?

serge
05-29-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm also having a Dynamics problem in 8.5. For some reason the button isn't active. I have 3D Arsenal installed... could that be causing my problem?
It's probably a config problem. Check BeeVee's post in this thread: link (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43811).